Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wanna clean this lid

Article about: Is the oil/wax part neccesary? I always thought oxalic acid stabilizes the rust? Thanks

Default Wanna clean this lid

I just bought some oxalic acid after reading about it on here. I'd like to experiment on some of my less precious relic lids. How muck should I use? I have a 5 gallon bucket to use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wanna clean this lid   Wanna clean this lid  

Last edited by Good Pwny; 04-19-2011 at 02:06 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wanna clean this lid
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wanna clean this lid

100g of oxalic to about 8l of water seems to be the trick. These lids are HEAVILY rusted so don't be expecting miracles with them. The holes where the metal is very thin will probably get bigger and the thinner metal more fragile too so be warned.

Did you read some of the threads in the restoration forum? There's plenty of advice in there regarding soaking times etc.

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    100g of oxalic to about 8l of water seems to be the trick. These lids are HEAVILY rusted so don't be expecting miracles with them. The holes where the metal is very thin will probably get bigger and the thinner metal more fragile too so be warned.

Did you read some of the threads in the restoration forum? There's plenty of advice in there regarding soaking times etc.
    I have read some threads after posting this. Some of the results have been amazing. I'd like to try by soaking for a few hours, just to see how much comes off and not to over do it. Some of my helmets are solid, so I could try it on them. After soaking, I assume you flush them with clean water? I also gather that you leave them outside, as the fumes could be toxic. I'm going to pick up some heavy duty rubber gloves in a little bit. I'd love to try it today, but rain is in the forecast here. Boooooooo This one may come out nice
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wanna clean this lid  

Flush with a water solution containing soda ash (to remove the yellow/green salt buildup you'll get)

Flush with a water solution containing soda ash (to remove the yellow/green salt buildup you'll get)
    LOL, soda ash? I never heard of that, gotta look into it.

Yep, do some research and you'll save alot of pain if you ruin one of your precious relics. Plain old water won't shift the yellow salt deposits if they form.

Yep, do some research and you'll save alot of pain if you ruin one of your precious relics. Plain old water won't shift the yellow salt deposits if they form.
    Glenn, I just got the soda ash. Anything else? I'd figure I let it sit in the acid for what, 3-5 hours, then how long to let sit in soda ash?

It really depends on the severity of rust and how far you intend to go, I gave my first helmet 24 hours which was too much as the paint faded and the bad rust didn't really get too much less. Other guys give it soaks in 15 minute intervals with a light scrub and bath in the soda solution after every 15 until you are either happy or feel you aren't getting any better results. BTW, aluminium liners don't like the acid and go all white and ugly so think about that too. While you are soaking in the acid don't touch any decals as they can go soft and will only harden up again after the helmet has dried.

Also after the helmet is out of the acid and in the soda/water solution rust will start forming again on any bare metal so be in a postion to be able to dry it off really quick either in the sun or with towels and a hair dryer or somesuch.

It really depends on the severity of rust and how far you intend to go, I gave my first helmet 24 hours which was too much as the paint faded and the bad rust didn't really get too much less. Other guys give it soaks in 15 minute intervals with a light scrub and bath in the soda solution after every 15 until you are either happy or feel you aren't getting any better results. BTW, aluminium liners don't like the acid and go all white and ugly so think about that too. While you are soaking in the acid don't touch any decals as they can go soft and will only harden up again after the helmet has dried.

Also after the helmet is out of the acid and in the soda/water solution rust will start forming again on any bare metal so be in a postion to be able to dry it off really quick either in the sun or with towels and a hair dryer or somesuch.
    Sounds like a plan, thanks! I like the idea of intervals. I guess I'll use a sponge to lightly scrub the rust.

I've started soaking a few helmets. Hopefully they come out good. I'm doing 15 min intervals of acid, followed by 10 min of soda. I will do about 3-4 of each. I'm using a soft sponge to remove rust. Any type of oil for after?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast