Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Where do i Start

Article about: can some one give me some tips regarding this lid? i have no idea where to start, as you can see it's in a bit of a state starting with the good stiff brush method to relieve it of some flak

?

Default Where do i Start

can some one give me some tips regarding this lid?

i have no idea where to start, as you can see it's in a bit of a state

starting with the good stiff brush method to relieve it of some flaky stuff, im kind of reluctant to proceed any further without any guidance from you guys.

i have been reading about oxalic acid on this section of the forum and wondered if this was an appropriate time to use it on this relic lid, especialy as there is a remaing decal?

or do i go down the evapo rust remover method?

am i expecting to much from a rusty relic, and just because there is a decal remaining, i had wanted to sit this on a desk when finished, i dont want bits of rust dropping off every day so that the wife goes mad

anyway any guidance would be appreciated, and i thank you in advance..

H.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where do i Start   Where do i Start  

Where do i Start  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Where do i Start
    P
    Many

Default Re: Where do i Start

In my opinion, a relic should look just what it is...a relic that has been buried. The state that the helmet is in is a testament to the history and where it has been for the past 60+ years. I once had a double decal helmet that was battle damaged with liner intact that was removed from the Damjansk pocket. I didn't do a thing to it, and even left the remnants of dirt in the liner...but that is just me.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    In my opinion, a relic should look just what it is...a relic that has been buried. The state that the helmet is in is a testament to the history and where it has been for the past 60+ years. I once had a double decal helmet that was battle damaged with liner intact that was removed from the Damjansk pocket. I didn't do a thing to it, and even left the remnants of dirt in the liner...but that is just me.
    I agree, I've just left the mud and dirt on and in my relic K98. I just think it adds to the story behind it.

Thanks

Danny

Ive done a little bit of work on some relic lids with the oxalic acid. However none of the ones I cleaned up had decals. You can always mix up the acid and using a brush spot clean the helmet being careful not to touch the decal and this will break up the rust but it will take you quite a while to do.
    If you are not wanting to go the acid route you could always soak the helmet in water and using soap scrub it then using a blow dryer evaporate all the water that is left behind so it doesnt continue to rust at a fast rate.
    Its your own choice what you want to do and if you look around in the forums here you can find all kinds of great tips.

Wonderful lid.

?

Default Re: Where do i Start (updated)

hi Guys, Just thought id let you know how i got on with my lid.

well after posting and reading various threads and some replies to this one, i decided that i just could not leave this helmet untouched.

after cleaning in water with a stiff brush,
    i decided to buy some evapo Rust from the UK Supplier, heres the link if anyones interested

Caswell Europe, Electroplating and Powdercoating systems for small commercial workshops or home restorer

they deliverd within 2 days, and the stuff did a great job, Considering the Helmet had Been in the Ground for 60 + Years.

then it was dried and recoated in more Evapo-Rust to Stop any further degredation.
    Finally a Liberal Coating of Vaseline oil, Which was slowly heated in a pan, To make Application, with a rag easier.

a quick trawl on ebay, and voila, i have a lid displayed, and without any moaning from the wife, because there is no dust or decay which has to be cleaned up .

i just wanted to thank everyone who has participated in helping me with my first relic helmet, and i hope it inspires more wannabe collectors, that you can get a great look from an old rusty relic, withiout spending tons of cash

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Where do i Start   Where do i Start