Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins

Article about: I have a World War One Austrian helmet and am thinking of replacing the missing leather liner in the original helmet and with parts from the Prairie Flower Leather Company. My fear is that I

?

Default World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins

I have a World War One Austrian helmet and am thinking of replacing the missing leather liner in the original helmet and with parts from the Prairie Flower Leather Company.

My fear is that I will break the original split pins when I remove or replace the liner band. Does anyone have any tricks on dealing with split pins that over 100 years old?

A couple of pictures attached for reference.

Thanks.

Peter

World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pinsWorld War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins
    P
    Many

I'd leave it as is, personally. You only risk damaging the original pins (which have been in situ for over 100 years) to insert a reproduction liner that you won't be able to see when the helmet is sitting on a shelf. As it is, it's absolutely fine for display. Externally it appears intact, and is overall a very nice example of a Great War helmet. Tampering with it would only damage its appeal.

B.B.

?

Thanks. I am back and forth on this. The "don't mess with it" part of me is competing with the "make it better" part.

See my comments on your other post. Providing you take care, you should be OK.

Pebceb, you can’t improve on original.

A new liner will never match the patina of an original item and will look out of place.

As has already been suggested best left alone in the condition it was found in and if you want a new looking helmet why not buy a restored shell from somewhere like German Helmets Inc or the German Helmet Depot.

I too feel that leaving it as it is would be the best way forward, a very nice original piece that in my opinion would be de-valued by adding the modern leather to it. Leon.

?

Default I did it!

Well after much advice and some long and hard thinking I did decide to go ahead and put in a replacement liner from Prairie Flower Leather and it worked perfectly. I used a screwdriver as suggested to support the pins as I carefully removed them. In fact the hardest part was getting the liner band back in place aligned to the holes as it was a snug fit to begin with. I am very very pleased with how it turned out and the quality of the liner.

The aged look actually is nothing more than the old dirt, rust and decayed leather bits that got on ti as I worked if while it was wet. Quite like how it turned out.

Added the chinstrap now as well. Also from the Prairie Flower Leather Company.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins   World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins  

World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins   World War One Austrian Helmet - Advice on removing and replacing original split pins  

That's a very nice restoration you have done! I know that some collectors disapprove of this, but providing it is done in a sympathetic way there is nothing wrong in this. After all... museums do it all the time, you never hear of anyone complaining about restored tanks, artillery, aircraft, ships... so why not helmets?

Cheers,
    Steve

A contentious subject, but i think you have done this quite well.
    Nick