Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI (?) brodie helmet

Article about: I was talked into this at a yard sale a few weeks ago. It probably wasn't worth the \\$20, but I'm a sucker for war relics. The guy selling it claimed that it was WWII American, but everything

tim4x
    ?

Default WWI (?) brodie helmet

I was talked into this at a yard sale a few weeks ago. It probably wasn't worth the $20, but I'm a sucker for war relics. The guy selling it claimed that it was WWII American, but everything I've found suggests otherwise.
    WWI (?) brodie helmet

WWI (?) brodie helmet

WWI (?) brodie helmet

The rust is mostly superficial and isn't as worrisome as the fact that the paint is peeling so badly that more flakes off every time I pick it up.

So... I really have no idea what to do with it. If anyone knows whether the paint is original, that would be fantastic. Plus some suggestions on how to either stabilize the paint or (if it's a post-war addition) remove it to get to the original finish would be much appreciated.

2. # ADS

Default Re: WWI (?) brodie helmet

Hi Tim, it is not WW1, but it is in fact a WW2 US Civil Defence helmet. The seller was honest. These were white, so the paint will be original. All you need to do is wipe it down with a cloth. I am not sure of values on these, (not what I collect) but I suspect it will be low, so I think you may have paid about the going rate. A bit of research on the net, now you know exactly what you have, should reveal more info.

Here is a link showing another one with decals:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...=post&id=52860

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: WWI (?) brodie helmet

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Tim, it is not WW1, but it is in fact a WW2 US Civil Defence helmet. The seller was honest. These were white, so the paint will be original. All you need to do is wipe it down with a cloth. I am not sure of values on these, (not what I collect) but I suspect it will be low, so I think you may have paid about the going rate. A bit of research on the net, now you know exactly what you have, should reveal more info.

Here is a link showing another one with decals:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...=post&id=52860

Cheers, Ade.
    Jeezzzz, your good Ade!