Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII Japanese Horse Gas Mask

Article about: I bought an extremely rare WWII Japanese horse gas mask made of rubber, and it is hardened and folded up. Does anyone know how to make the rubber flexible again so it can be put on a horse m

?

Default WWII Japanese Horse Gas Mask

I bought an extremely rare WWII Japanese horse gas mask made of rubber, and it is hardened and folded up. Does anyone know how to make the rubber flexible again so it can be put on a horse mannequin?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWII Japanese Horse Gas Mask
    P
    Many

Default Re: WWII Japanese Horse Gas Mask

If the rubber has totally hardened, sadly there is not much you can do about it unless you want to take the risk of unfolding it which could cause further damage. In my opinion, with it being such a rare item taking such a risk would be a bit stupid..... I'd love to see some photographs though

Thanks

Danny

Hi,
    As Danny says we would love to see pics of the mask, Would using steam to soften the rubber do any damage to it do you think. As i have used this method before to soften old items, even paper.
    dave.

I've seen people attempt to restore the gas masks that have hardened on many occassions and using a variety of different methods including using chemicals, hot water etc.... almost all of them backfired and ended up making things worse unfortunately. I've not known of anyone that has used steam though so it might possibly work, but I'd still advise that the gas mask should be left as it currently is if there is a considerable risk of further damage.

Thanks

Danny

?

Hi, thanks for the comments and the reason it hardened is because the vet who brought it back put it in an open container in his carpentry shop and left it sit there like that for the last 65 years. It must have hardened from sitting in the heat durning the summer, and there are some little spots of melted rubber on the lenses. I would upload pics, but I don't know how to upload a JPG file(Sorry, I'm new to this forum).

I think it sounds too far gone to try and unfold it so it can be displayed, best thing do would be to store it carefully to prevent any further deterioration.

Heres a guide on how to upload files to the forum: New picture posting feature - How to guide !

Thanks

Danny

?

Thanks for the tip. Here's some pics:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWII Japanese Horse Gas Mask   WWII Japanese Horse Gas Mask  

Very nice, but also a shame that its ended up in that condition

After seeing it, my opinion is still the same about attempting to restore it, it would be too great a risk, however it is yours and if you think you can I wish you the best of luck.

I'm not too sure what type it is specifically, but I'm inclined to think that its this one because of the red eyepieces....

WWII Japanese Horse Gas Mask

However, I believe the mask in the photo above is post war....

Thanks

Danny

?

Hi, I could never find any information on this gas mask, so thank you for the pic. Now I have an idea of what it once looked like. I'll test out different methods on one of the small straps on the gas mask, so it won't destroy the whole thing.

?

I am not replying but want help in finding the value of a Japanese WWII Horse Gas Mask that I can't find anywhere. How do I find out its value.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast