Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Horizontal Wing DLV

Article about: I must admit that this is a favourite style of buckle to myself. The "horizontal wing" DLV and which by design of the eagle and swastika, is so very iconic and representative of th

Default Horizontal Wing DLV

I must admit that this is a favourite style of buckle to myself.

The "horizontal wing" DLV and which by design of the eagle and swastika, is so very iconic and representative of the NSDAP.

I think (sorry - yet again I think), that the DLV was formed as a definitely non military flying group or association in around 1932. The organisation was then clearly overshadowed by the then newly formed Wehrmacht Luftwaffe in 1935 (hence the DLV buckle with Luftwaffe related and stamped "Lederzunge") and finally, the DLV being superseded by the NSFK in around 1937.

Regards,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Horizontal Wing DLV
    P
    Many

Default Re: Horizontal Wing DLV

Cracking set of buckles there. Are they all nickel? I cannot see any maker marks. Any guesses as to maker?

David, great collection , great pictures ! Cheers Thomas

shinyemon and Thomas

Thankyou for your kind words and as I have previously mentioned, the horizontal wing DLV is a particular favourite of mine. A simple, effective and really super design in my opinion.

The first two buckles are manufactured from nickle silver and are more than likely to have been produced by Assmann.

The other buckles are die stamped aluminium.

The third example and with the crank catch is again more than likely to have been produced by Assmann, although I do not know about the last two. The clue however lies in the two individually very distinct types of brazed on catches.

Regards,

David