Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soviet vehicle markings in WW2: help needed

Article about: Hi Guys, there seems to be a lack of info available about Soviet vehicle markings? Can anyone reccommend any websites or books? In English would be ideal. I have seen vehicles such as Lend-L

Default Soviet vehicle markings in WW2: help needed

Hi Guys, there seems to be a lack of info available about Soviet vehicle markings?

Can anyone reccommend any websites or books? In English would be ideal.

I have seen vehicles such as Lend-Lease Jeeps with a Letter / number / star combination painted in white on the windscreen. What does this mean? Is it just a vehicle number or some kind of unit code? Have a look at the photo below to illustrate what I mean?

(The pic was taken at Torgau in 1945 at the link of of US and Soviet forces. The Jeep is ex British Airborne Forces! It must have been captured by the Germans then recaptured by the Russians)

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet vehicle markings in WW2: help needed  

?

Default Re: Soviet vehicle markings in WW2: help needed

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, there seems to be a lack of info available about Soviet vehicle markings?

Can anyone reccommend any websites or books? In English would be ideal.

I have seen vehicles such as Lend-Lease Jeeps with a Letter / number / star combination painted in white on the windscreen. What does this mean? Is it just a vehicle number or some kind of unit code? Have a look at the photo below to illustrate what I mean?

(The pic was taken at Torgau in 1945 at the link of of US and Soviet forces. The Jeep is ex British Airborne Forces! It must have been captured by the Germans then recaptured by the Russians)

Cheers, Ade.
    Please try this Russian source
    Òàêòè÷åñêèå çíàêè ÐÊÊÀ - Ôîðóì âîåííîé èñòîðèè - "Ëåéáøòàíäàðò - Âîåííûé àíòèêâàðèàò"

HistDean
    ?

It's all in Russian! any English site available?

JWEv
    ?

Hi Adrian, sorry to dig up an old thread but I've only just discovered this forum. This site may interest you, the guy certainly knows his stuff about Soviet Vehicles.
    Engines of the Red Army in WW2

Hi, thanks for thinking of me. I already have this on in my favourites list. It is a nice site.

Cheers, Ade.

PS: Welcome to the forum!