Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US and british armor in soviet hands

Article about: I have read that west supplied alot of arms and tanks for Russian front but that fact was hidden from the general public in Russia.Photos of U.S.&British armor being used by the Soviet a

sturmhunter
    ?

Default US and british armor in soviet hands

I have read that west supplied alot of arms and tanks for Russian front but that fact was hidden from the general public in Russia.Photos of U.S.&British armor being used by the Soviet army were stopped from going to press or destroyed.
    I just wondered if enyone has eny good pictures of west armor in the Soviet army,i have only found 1 which i have posted here,if you have eny good photos like it, please post them up so i can see.I'd love to see a mitilda or valentine tank
    thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US and british armor in soviet hands  

sturmhunter
    ?

Default Re: US and british armor in soviet hands

I thought i should have a look what I could find on the web afresh and lol I found this of a valentine tank recovered from a lake in Russia,but it was old photos I wanted to see.still I thought i'd post these
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US and british armor in soviet hands  
    Attached Images Attached Images US and british armor in soviet hands 

splod89
    ?

I wasn't aware that they hid the use of lend lease equipment from the general public. You learn something new every day I guess...
    After a quick search of the net your first image keeps popping up and not much else. It's interesting that we can't find many images of lend lease equipment yet the first one we find is a great colour shot.

++EDIT++
    Alright, I lied. I stumbled upon this picture of a Matlida in Soviet service and another of an M3.
    Soviet Forces - Soviet matilda
    Soviet Forces - U.S. lend lease M3 in Russia
    I think from the comments on the photo of the matilda that it was originally a black and white photo that has since been touched up.

++EDIT++ (again...)
    Typical. As soon as you're happy you've found all you can and posted in the thread you stumble upon more...
    Soviet Forces - Soviet sherman in Vienna
    Soviet Forces - Soviet bren gun carrier
    Soviet Forces - Lend-Lease White Scout Car
    Soviet Forces - Lend-Lease Universal Carrier

So I think thats all from this source. I don't have any lend lease pics on my pc as my focus was more on Soviet made AFV's.
    Last edited by splod89; 10-09-2008 at 12:08 PM.

I have a book on the subject of Lend Lease armour in Soviet service, in Russian, but I cannot post the pics here as it would infringe copywrite. The captions are in English though. Worth having if armour is your interest.

Cheers, Ade.

HistDean
    ?

I know that they particularly hated the British churchill tank because it was heavy and slow...

?

This is one page I had saved for referance that might be of help, numbers wise.

Axis History Factbook: Lend/Lease Vehicles (Soviet Union)

neil

note... the 5 M5 Stuarts never made it there, they were sunk on the way over.

?

I find that interesting about the Soviet thoughts on the Churchill. Not sure how compadable the the Churchill was incomparison with the KV1.

Roy
    ?

I am unaware as to how the Soviets may have tried to keep Lend Lese equipment knowledge from their citizens, but I do have a researched Order of the Red Star that was awarded to an aviation mechanic, and the citation specifically mentions the awardee being very efficient in repairing both Soviet, and Aerocobra aircraft.

?

I have several original pictures from a German side with destroyed Matildas. But I would disagree that was a secret- the US and British tanks and vehicles was everywhere, from jeeps-motorcycles-trucks to tanks and aircrafts, even a ships.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Here is a photo I found in a book. I understand it does not violate any copyright and it is free to use, as it is a former Soviet Union Government photo.

You can see soviet soldiers not only with U.S. M3A1 tanks, but also with U.S. tanker helmets and a M1928A1 Thompson sub-machinegun as well as a M1919A4 machinegun.

I have never read anywhere that the Lend-Lease of allied war material was kept in secret to the soviet population.

Regards,

Gus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.