Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab

Article about: Hey, guys. I came across this SA yesterday and was considering purchasing it as a first "upright" for my collection. After a little research and reviewing the sticky thread on upri

Default An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab

Hey, guys. I came across this SA yesterday and was considering purchasing it as a first "upright" for my collection. After a little research and reviewing the sticky thread on upright SA's I'm almost certain this is an original buckle. It's also interesting, I thought in that it has a 1939 dated leather tab. I'm not sure if the tab originally belonged to the buckle, but if so then this clearly positions this buckle on the timeline.
    The buckle itself is unmarked and I'm not sure from these photos if it maybe originally had a silver washed roundel. With regard to upright swastika SA's in general, is this brass type supposed to be a more desirable variety? Is anyone able to read the leather tab or identify the maker of the buckle? It's going for $100 which I think is probably a good price as I think these tend to go for a little more, correct?

Any help is most appreciated!

Best to you all,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab   An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab  

An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab   An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab
    P
    Many

Default Re: An Interesting SA Buckle w/Upright Swastika & Dated Tab

THe buckle itself looks to be a good example. I don't think the tab is original to the buckle though. Not sure if I've ever seen a leather tab on SA buckles - also the fact that the stitching is missing (on the back) would make it easy to add it to the buckle .The tab looks real - just don't think it belongs on this buckle.

Rob

Hey, Rob and thanks for the reply. Yeah, I was going to say that as well... Have never come across ANY SA so far that has a leather tab on it.

The tab is not original to the buckle but it is an original tab by Christian Theodre Dicke.
    Ben

?

Hello $100 is a very good price for the buckle and I have seen original tabs bring $25-35 on ebay. Buy the buckle and sell the tab.

No problem with the SA buckle Adam, being the single strike brass variety which is probably by Assmann. This is the most common type of the upright swastika buckles and it would have left the factory as brass without any silver wash.

As you now know, the CTD leather tongue is a post war add on and I have never as yet seen an SA with a period applied "Lederzunge".

A good buckle and at a good price.

Regards,

David