Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinion on 2 SA Buckles

Article about: Hi Guys, I'm considering purchasing one of the 2 following buckles. Both are unmarked, one is still attached to it's brown leather belt, which with regard to wear seems to marry up, I wonder

Default Opinion on 2 SA Buckles

Hi Guys, I'm considering purchasing one of the 2 following buckles. Both are unmarked, one is still attached to it's brown leather belt, which with regard to wear seems to marry up, I wondered how common these are to find ? The second one is just the buckle on it's own, brass prongs, but a different construction & better condition. Is it possible to tell which one is the earliest one ?
    Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinion on 2 SA Buckles   Opinion on 2 SA Buckles  

Opinion on 2 SA Buckles   Opinion on 2 SA Buckles  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinion on 2 SA Buckles
    P
    Many

Hello,

two nice buckles .

Looks like first one is a unmarked Steinhauer & Lück and the second is a unmarked Paulmann & Crone .
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

special SA/NSKK/NSFK with maker marks

Link to my collection : http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/album.php?albumid=1175

Thankyou for your reply Markus, incredible you can tell the makers just by looking at them. Is it possible to tell which is the earier one, if at all ? Wondered what you thought of the belt too ?

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    Thankyou for your reply Markus, incredible you can tell the makers just by looking at them. Is it possible to tell which is the earier one, if at all ? Wondered what you thought of the belt too ?
    Hello,

it's difficult to say when this buckles are made . They have no features that can make a time period.

Belts are not my field but on this i see that is with reworked stiching and also the hook is not with his original rivets !

IMO it's not a want have !
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

I didn't quite notice the rivets Markus, I thought they 'looked' in keeping with the belt, should have realised that with the stitching, so probably post-war repairs then ? The second one, the Paulmann & Crone was the one I preferred the construction of, it's described as near mint, & the roundal is brass as are the prongs, wondered what you thought of the condition ?

Both great looking buckles, i'd be proud to own either of them!...

I didn't quite notice the rivets Markus, I thought they 'looked' in keeping with the belt, should have realised that with the stitching, so probably post-war repairs then ?
    Can also made in time ........

The second one, the Paulmann & Crone was the one I preferred the construction of, it's described as near mint, & the roundal is brass as are the prongs, wondered what you thought of the condition ?
    It's not mint but in very good condition !
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

Quote by yellow12 View Post
    Looks like first one is a unmarked Steinhauer & Lück and the second is a unmarked Paulmann & Crone .
    Dear Markus

I do not wish to appear overly argumentative and I bow to your superior knowledge of the SA buckle, however what you have stated here is and in my opinion, both wrong and misleading.

By all means employ a statement with the caveat of "possibly" or even "probably" as to who the maker of a buckle was based on the roundel design, however and in my opinion a degree of caution should be exercised.

Do not forget that (a) not all buckle manufactures had their own in house toolmakers employed to fabricate bespoke and company specific dies, (b) sub contracted toolmakers were commonly engaged who supplied numerous buckle manufacturers and (c), some buckle manufactures merely bought pre formed roundels from an outside source and simply assembled the component parts.

Yes, we are often given a clue as to who the manufacturer of an SA buckle was by the roundel design, the type of box, catch, pin shroud and claws, however and in my opinion, it is only a clue or a suggestion.

The same buckle however with a makers mark, well, that is a totally different matter.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

An interesting point your making. I guess I never thought about a company buying pre stamped roundels. I have always thought there was so many different types of roundels because every company had their own design. That's what make collecting SA/NSKK buckles fun.

Dear David ,

your allways right . Therefore i written looks like and not it is .

That's will say i saw some marked buckels with same roundels and features .

But also accept your opinions ........
    Regards ,
    Markus

I'm searching for
    Buckles 3.Reich

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast