Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on SA

Article about: Hello. What do you think about this belt buckle, friends?

Default Opinions on SA

Hello. What do you think about this belt buckle, friends?Opinions on SAOpinions on SAOpinions on SA

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on SA
    P
    Many

A past documented buckle and in my opinion, a post 1945 fantasy piece, rather than a fake per se in the true sense.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Hello Zeppelin,
    as David says this is a fantasy buckle.
    Just look at the patina on the solder. There is evidence that there was a sticky label applied at one time and the fingerprints that have etched in to the finish on the reverse.
    I am pretty sure these buckles originated in the 70s with and without the RZM stamp in Germany as I remember seeing quite a few for sale still with that 'brand new lustre'.

All the best
    Doug

Thankyou for chipping in on this one Doug, however I must admit that I have never seen this fantasy SA without the overt and startling reverse RZM markings.

Pure laziness on my part, as I did not mention that this fantasy SA buckle has taken inspiration from an original SA buckle where the roundel is jolly similar. Perhaps the fantasy SA buckle has a roundel cast from the shown original?

That apart and with regard to the SA buckle which started this post, I think that the pin shroud and claws are of the genre often encountered with post 1945 buckles. In addition, the small and far spaced solder spots are highly uncharectistic for period SA buckles, however a similar configuration is known on original and period NSBO buckles, to name just one NSDAP organisation.

As for the style, font and positioning of the highly precise engineered RZM markings, in my opinion not at all in simpatico for even the madly idiosyncratic SA buckle!

Again, post 1945 fantasy in Doug's and my opinion, so far!

Regards and best wishes.

David

Reverse

Thanks friends. I have heard your opinion that this buckle is a fantasy.

Quote by zeppelin View Post
    ?..your opinion...
    Only and perhaps it is wise to wait to hear from others more proficient in their ability towards analysing an SA buckle.

Regards and best wishes,

David

Quote by David North View Post
    Thankyou for chipping in on this one Doug, however I must admit that I have never seen this fantasy SA without the overt and startling reverse RZM markings.

Pure laziness on my part, as I did not mention that this fantasy SA buckle has taken inspiration from an original SA buckle where the roundel is jolly similar. Perhaps the fantasy SA buckle has a roundel cast from the shown original?

That apart and with regard to the SA buckle which started this post, I think that the pin shroud and claws are of the genre often encountered with post 1945 buckles. In addition, the small and far spaced solder spots are highly uncharectistic for period SA buckles, however a similar configuration is known on original and period NSBO buckles, to name just one NSDAP organisation.

Again, post 1945 fantasy in Doug's and my opinion, so far!

Regards and best wishes.

David
    David,
    you have now reminded me about the other buckles that were hitting the market around that time...I am sure it was the NSBO buckle that you refer to.

Remember this is nearly 40 or 50 years ago I looked at these buckles and I am fairly sure that the solder does not actually do anything but is just a couple of blobs placed on the back to make it look like the centre piece has been soldered on.
    The first example that came out were just brand new shiny things with no solder on them at all.

It would be good to get hold of one of these and test my theory out.

I am sure that you are right that the roundel is either cast from an original or as I thought many moons ago that it was indeed an original old stock item that has been added to a new buckle

All the best
    Doug

?

You are correct about the solder on the NSBO buckle. I got one in a 139 buckle collection I bought a few years ago. The roundel was loose and I popped it off. Smooth brass buckle no holes.

I must admit guys, I am not keen on the prongs or the markings either
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast