Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Question by Roland - SA buckles

Article about: Here is a question by Roland in connection with SA buckles and which I have extracted from the SA buckle "sticky" data base. "...I saw a very nice SA buckle in pristine condit

Default Question by Roland - SA buckles

Here is a question by Roland in connection with SA buckles and which I have extracted from the SA buckle "sticky" data base.

"...I saw a very nice SA buckle in pristine condition last week at a local fair. The roundel was nickel but attached to the reverse by only one central soldered point, it also has a leather maker's leather tab attached. I think it's a repro, am I right?...".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question by Roland - SA buckles
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question by Roland - SA buckles

Roland

The SA buckle you have mentioned is unfortunately, more than likely to be a fake or fantasy item, although perhaps it should not be instantly dismissed.

The feature of a leather tongue attached to an SA buckle is nonsense, however I have on occasions bought SA's complete with say a Wehrmacht "Lederzunge", post 1945 applied in order to clumsily attempt to inflate the price. Thankfully, the leather tongue can be easily taken off and thrown in the rubbish bin.

I have seen fake and fantasy SA's were the separate roundel has been attached by split pins, rivets, nuts, two solder points and three solder points etc., etc.

Never and as you say, a single solder point.

Having said that, I have recently secured a very tired and distressed SA buckle which I am reasonably sure is original which displays - you have probably guessed it - a single solder point for affixing the nickle silver roundel.

Quite coincidental that you should raise the subject Roland.

Regards,

David

Hi David, I thought hsi buckle was a fake based on the leather tab attachment and the single soldered point which looked like a rivet head covered in solder although I didn't get a chance to really examine it. He also has a Gau Essen aluminium buckle with dark grey paint and pebbled field, it also has a leather tab but considering the scarcity of this buckle around Europe I guess it's a dud. Your buckle doesn't look really distressed, in fact it's quite nice apart from the rope area on the outer rope circle around the right hand portion in comparison to the rest. Or is this just an effect of photography and light?
    Cheers, Roland.

Roland

Thankyou for your kind words about my SA buckle and perhaps I am being a tad harsh about this chappie. It is rare to find a single solder spot buckle that is possibly original and as such, caution prevails.

Here is another single solder spot buckle and which I think (hope) is pre 1945 !

Regards,

David

Hi David, another nice buckle, looks o.k. to me. I went to the market today to inform that guy his s.a. buckle was a dud but he;d alreadt sold it at 130 pounds. He admitted the tab could have been added post 45, no shame some people, some poor soul got really ripped off. I only have one s.a. buckle, will add photos through the coming week.
    Cheers, Roland.

Roland

GBP 130 for a perhaps a suspect SA buckle is indeed high.

Anyway and having said that, we look forward to images of your SA buckle when time permits.

Gau Essen - golly, if there was ever an over estimated and "gilding the lilly" buckle, then this is the one.

As you know, invariably nickle silver and with an odd matt green finish and definitely, no leather tongue. Assmann as the maker and with the anecdotal reference to two very minor variations in the buckle design. A very rare buckle and a very attractive design buckle and of course, a price to match.

Regards,

David