Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?

Article about: Alec The forums pleasure - as always. Looking forward to images of your newly acquired SchuPo KS. Regards, David

?

Default Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?

Hello Everyone,
    Question - I've always thought the correct matching SA belt to a SA buckle had a dark brown colour. I see dealers offering SA buckles with much darker coloured belts, much the same colour as Heer belts. Were they worn so? SA buckle & heer belts or are dealers mixing the two.
    Regards

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?

Alech here is a pic of mine if it helps you at all
    cheers Ronnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?  

?

Hi Ronnie,
    Thanks for your picture - here's a couple of pictures of a dealers SA buckle & belt on offer - the belt seems to have come from the Wehrmacht. Were they ever issued so?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?   Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?  

That doesn't look like a SA belt to me. Looks like a combat belt and it looks to have been modified in some way where the buckle catch is. I don't think it's original to the buckle....

Rob

Alec

In my opinion, one of the basic rules about SA buckles and straps, is there are not too many basic rules ! I suppose in theory that every SA man should have worn a shiny new brown strap to his shiny new buckle, although the reality was quite different. I have seen the shades of brown vary between that superb example shown by Ronnie to almost black. I have also seen period use Imperial military black and brown straps, miscellaneous Weimar types to what was then, brand new brown "political" straps.

The key is I think an identification of age and period to the strap, rather than solely on the colour. Perhaps the most common mismatch seen is an SA buckle with a mid 1930's to mid 1940's period "combat" strap and I agree with Rob on this one.

Not a period match in my opinion.

By the way Alec, you need to obtain some detailed reverse images of the SA buckle if you are thinking of buying.

Regards,

David

?

Hi David,
    I did buy a SA Buckle & Belt a couple of weeks ago, at the local military collectors meeting from the clubs president. The belt is dark brown much darker than ronnie's one, but lighter than the one I first posted, which is from a dealers site, in fact the same dealer who was offering the "Gebirgsjäger buckle & belt" in a recent posting I made. Comparing them, I got to wondering about my belt and his belt. My belt is devoid of markings except for the belt length 120, I do have two pictures of the SA buckle on my computor. When I get chance I shall post a belt picture. Here's the SA buckle, any idea who the maker might be.
    Best Wishes
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?   Question - SA Belts one Colour only ?  

sorry Allech ive only just got to see your question belts are not really my line of collecting, but i agree with what you are saying about it being like a heer belt i have this only to go with my daggers, so i had a look in some dagger books and nearly all of the ones with the colour pic seem to be a lighter colour than the one you show, sorry for not being more helpfull cheers Ronnie

Alec

The below detailed thread includes a small reference to SA straps, although I have posted the images again.

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/belt-...-fakes-5102-4/

Two of the most commonly encountered "political" type straps as worn by the SA and also, an SA Nordsee strap, probably worn with the SA Wehrmannschaften buckle.

A super SA buckle that you have shown and I know this design of roundel as both silver washed brass and nickle silver. Attached are images of the nickle silver roundel type and as you can see, a totally different reverse to the brass box.

Sorry - I do not have a clue who the maker was.

Regards,

David

?

Hello David,
    A belated thank you, for the last couple of posts & pictures and the compliments on my SA buckle & belt, its always nice to read, that I've got it right once in a while and to gain a insight into something that interests you. Regarding belts I'm just on the start of a huge learning curve and trying to avoid the obvious mistakes that trip up a beginner.
    Best Wishes
    Alec
    P.s. - just got my hands on a sweet Third Reich Police Buckle & Belt. I'll post it up over the next couple of days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast