Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Buckle for review

Article about: A friend was told this was a fake when he bought it for \\$20.00, does it stand a chance ? At first glance it looks good to me, sorry for the pics, these are all I have at the moment, any comm

?

Default SA Buckle for review

A friend was told this was a fake when he bought it for $20.00, does it stand a chance ? At first glance it looks good to me, sorry for the pics, these are all I have at the moment, any comments or thoughts are welcome.. G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Buckle for review  
    Attached Images Attached Images SA Buckle for review  SA Buckle for review  SA Buckle for review 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Buckle for review
    P
    Many

Dear Gwar,

Quote by Gwar View Post
    ...A friend was told this was a fake when he bought it...
    An interesting assessment as your friend has possibly and in my opinion, been told the truth. An element of guess work here and really, detailed images of the roundel would be much preferred. From the images provided, the eagle appears to be the well known “hook nose” fake (I may be wrong) and it is encountered in various forms to include the eagle supporting both mobile and sun wheel configuration swastikas. In addition, the inner field of the roundel by the fakes, is encountered as both brass/“silver” and smooth/pebbled.

In my opinion, the pin, pin shroud and claws are not in simpatico to this buckle, if original. The ears to the brass box have in my opinion been inexplicably forced open for whatever reason and do not sit well with this buckle, again if original.

In my opinion, a fake roundel on a possibly period, albeit mangled brass box, complete with an inappropriate claw assembly.

USD 20 I would suggest, seems a reasonable price.

Regards and best wishes,

David