Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA in zinc

Article about: Hello, i'm visit a small fair in germany . The offers were sparse and expensive but i found something interest . This SA buckle looks like made by Overhoff . The box is nickelsilver and zinc

Dear Markus,

Many thanks for providing additional images of this very interesting buckle.

My opinion and on reflection is I think somewhat contrary to yours and in this respect, please accept my apologies in advance. You of course have the buckle in hand and as such, you are the final arbiter.

I can understand the existence of a dull grey finish to an SA buckle, as this could be Motor School associated. There is however and in my opinion, no reason for literally, zinc coating an SA buckle. It is worth considering perhaps the chronological contradiction of when the SA buckle was produced and the usage of zinc.

There are at least three methods of applying zinc to a host metal as plating, phosphating and chromating and to usually steel (ferrous). Here we are talking about a so called zinc coating to nickle silver (non ferrous) and this I think even now, is a phenomenally difficult, if not an impossible process to complete. Zinc on nickle silver for me, is highly unlikely.

I think that the subject buckle has been coated with some sort of paint solution which resembles zinc in colour and in colour only. I am painfully and acutely aware that you have previously confirmed that the coating to the subject buckle is not a paint solution.

Attached are images of a DJ buckle and two SA buckles, all of which I have shown before on the Forum. For the brass base DJ buckle, there are remains of a grey coating to the box obverse and this primer type coating, has been sprayed on. For the first brass based SA buckle, it displays to both the obverse and the reverse, a zinc type finish. This however is a paint solution coating which resembles zinc in colour and again, in colour only. For the second nickle silver based SA buckle, it displays a painted obverse.

For all three, the common feature of painted finishes.

My apologies that I for one, cannot shed more light on this very interesting buckle.

Regards and best wishes,

David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA in zinc
    P
    Many

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2