Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

SA dagger runner cleaning without taking runners out of scabbard

Article about: With the help of Larry, I've been trying to clean a recent SA dagger pickup's scabbard runners without risking removing the runners. Larry thought it was worth a thread, and I'm hoping eithe

That etching is lovely on your dagger Glenn. What a contrast.

I don't like the chips on the dagger edge on mine, but I knew about those when I got it. The runner marks have appeared to get worse as the dagger has been pulled from the scabbard since I received it. In photos from the seller, you can't see any runner marks this defined, now you can't miss them. My concern was trying to prevent as much runner damage as possible, but it seems inevitable at this point. They're good and scuffed into the blade now, beyond what Simichrome can get. So, I'll just have to leave it be as further polishing will probably start to risk the overall look of the blade and the remaining crossgrain, which I suspect the loss of would be worse than the new runner marks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA dagger runner cleaning without taking runners out of scabbard
    P
    Many

Thank you for the compliment.

I display my dagger out of its scabbard anyway so further runner mark damage should not be much of a concern.

SA dagger runner cleaning without taking runners out of scabbard

Wow what a sharp display! Hobbiests must keep Ikea in business with all those detolf sales.

Yep, I love the Detolf cabinets! I was in IKEA only last weekend and had to stop myself from buying another one even though I have nothing to put in it!

Detolf Junkie
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Your runner marks are perfectly normal, they kind of polish the blade horizontal straight against the vertical cross grain.
    I dont see abnormal damage, so let it be..

Ger
    Last edited by gerrit; 09-04-2014 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks Ger. This seems to be the conventional wisdom coming from everyone, so I will run with it.

On a side note, I've become rather fond of the "feel" of holding these SA daggers. Have you that have them noticed how well the grip of them fits in the hand? The curves of the grip and the way the pommels frame the grip make this such a great design for getting a handle on them. It just feels like it becomes a part of the arm when you have one in hand, and not just something you're holding. Wasn't expecting that, and it has impressed me for sure.

I find my hand is too big to fit comfortably but then most folk were on the smaller side back then I believe.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2