Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Almost black grip... NSKK Dienstdolch ?

Article about: Thanks for all the input gents.... and it was nice meeting you this weekend Steve!!

Default re: Almost black grip... NSKK Dienstdolch ?

I agree with Ronnie,

I also heard some members of the NSKK painted the handles black when the scabbards were painted. Here is a NSKK I just picked up with alot of the paint wore off the handle but evidence still under the crossguards.

Rich

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Almost black grip... NSKK Dienstdolch ?
    P
    Many

Absolutely Horst I agree the 2 are not to be confused,, I was merely pointing out, that The Marine SA were not the only ones patrolling the waterways. Your example is Pristine! Im looking forward one day to seeing it!
    @ Rich.. as usual your examples are always a pleasure to see. Is your grip stained or painted? as the discussion earlier in thread was talking about factory Marine SA grips which were stained. I spoke with Mr. Mike today concerning this. Larry

Despite all the talk of water police and SA marines, etc, I still do not believe that the original posted dagger is any of the above. It exhibits not the slightest bit of gilding anywhere and when comparing the provenanced posted photos in the thread of genuine pieces, the appearance of their grips are not very similar. Where their paint has worn off, it has left a blotchy irregularly darkened wood surface beneath. The original posted's grip is very uniformly darkened. It looks very much more to me like it has been treated by either the original owner or else the recovering vet. Personally, I would not purchase this dagger for being anything but a normal SA. But that's just my 2 cents.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Larry,

This grip on my NSKK was painted, not stained. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Rich

Guys, what do you make of this one ? It has a very deep brown stain,
    which is darker than any SA's I've ever seen, except for the example
    first posted. Unfortunately there's a chip on the front of the grip.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Almost black grip... NSKK Dienstdolch ?   Almost black grip... NSKK Dienstdolch ?  

Almost black grip... NSKK Dienstdolch ?  
    Regards,

Steve.

So, would it be feezable to say the very early one's had ther grips stained / painted before the thought of them also have guilt applied?

sorry Steve posted same time as you

Must have been a heck of a stain they used, if it penetrated to That depth, as shown by the chipped area being the same exact color-unless it was stained After it was chipped?
    William

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Must have been a heck of a stain they used, if it penetrated to That depth, as shown by the chipped area being the same exact color-unless it was stained After it was chipped?
    Sorry William i meant the others daggers showing the remains of the black Paint/Stain
    cheers Ronnie

Hello Ronnie, The one I was questioning was Steve's example-I was wondering how the stain got That deep in the wood,since the chipped area is the exact same color as the unchipped areas of the grips. It almost looks to have been stained After the chip occurred -which would be very odd!
    William

Wagriff looks to me that the chip has aged a little , but in these old eyes I can see somewhat a difference in toning, between the stain and the chip itself,, just my eyes. I also spoke with Mr Mike McAlvanah today ,, his words as he has seen quite a few of them over his gathering years. The Factory Stained their grips as to what we see painted might have been Vet done or there is a minute possibility that the SA Marine mann could of done this also. Whos to know!! Still a tough subject!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast