Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Aug. Merten S.A. Dagger

Article about: Got this SA Dagger from my neighbor (along with a RAD Hewer) who purchased a house from the children of an eldlery Vet who passed on my street and found these items in the basement (along wi

MAP
    ?

Default Aug. Merten S.A. Dagger

Got this SA Dagger from my neighbor (along with a RAD Hewer) who purchased a house from the children of an eldlery Vet who passed on my street and found these items in the basement (along with some paperwork which I'm still trying to get my hands on). I know that its been in one set of hands (except for the few days my neighbor had it) since WWII.

That said, I know it's not in the best condition but would love some feedback. Cost was $0 (along with the Hewer) so no harm if you think it's a parts piece.....

It has the District Marking "Wm" (Westmark?) on crossguard.

Anything you can tell me would be great....
    - quality
    - maker (Aug. Merten)
    - Condition
    - early/late war
    - Value (not important but just interested)

One very interesting thing is that it has absolutely NO finish on the scabbard. It does not appear that anything was done to it (when I got it, it was grimy after sitting down a basement for 50+ years). Not sure how the finish (paint, anodized?) came off.

Thanks!

Michael

Aug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. Dagger
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Aug. Merten S.A. Dagger
    P
    Many

Average condition IMO, but the blade seems to be
    excellent. I cannot tell the colour of the scabbard
    - black or brown ?

Were these pics taken with a phone camera.........?
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Average condition IMO, but the blade seems to be
    excellent. I cannot tell the colour of the scabbard
    - black or brown ?

Were these pics taken with a phone camera.........?
    Steve,

Yes phone camara. Sorry that's all I got. Took me many tries even to get this low quality.

There is NO color to the scabbard. It is completely devoid of paint, or any other coating. Blade is in nice shape however.

As it was free (along with a nice RAD Hewer) i'm not worried but was just curious.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Can't beat free !

It's an early dagger. I don't know how common
    or rare this maker is. Quick scan of the internet
    shows quite a few.........
    Regards,

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Can't beat free !

It's an early dagger. I don't know how common
    this maker is.........
    Yes, free is good. :-)

It looks solid but the scabbard has me puzzled.

btw....thanks for the advice on the EK1 Shinkleform the other day.

Early of the early makers..a quality dagger..which is common..a 3 on the SA rarity list. You done well for free. When you get some time take some better photos..with no flash..preferably outside on an over cast day or indoors with indirect lighting. The scabbard appears to have some thinning of brown anodizing. Makes it an SA dagger
    Gruppe mark is correct and the blade is near mint to mint. Congrats on a very early maker..in decent condition..minus the scabbard anodizing. cool militariia Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Free SA daggers, and then an Original early is Always great!!
    August Merten gave good attention to it grips, the early ones often show softer ridges.
    The enemal in the SA button is caramel brown, like that.
    Here a picture of a Merten i once owned, this is how the scabbard looks like with its brown anodation and lacquer still on it.

Cheers,
    Ger
    Aug. Merten S.A. Dagger

MAP
    ?

Larry/Get

Thanks for feedback. Will try to take better pics soon.

MAP
    ?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Early of the early makers..a quality dagger..which is common..a 3 on the SA rarity list. You done well for free. When you get some time take some better photos..with no flash..preferably outside on an over cast day or indoors with indirect lighting. The scabbard appears to have some thinning of brown anodizing. Makes it an SA dagger
    Gruppe mark is correct and the blade is near mint to mint. Congrats on a very early maker..in decent condition..minus the scabbard anodizing. cool militariia Regards Larry
    Larry,

A few quick questions.

1) "3 on rarity list", is that 3 of 10 with 1 being the most rare?
    2) When we say early, how early approx? (I'm no expert an SA Daggers). Are there different patterns? (I know this is not a ground Rohm.).
    3) If the scabbard was black, what does that make it?

Better pics coming as soon as we have an overcast day........

Thanks!

MAP
    ?

Larry,

Here are what I hope are better pics. Indirect lighting, no flash.

Aug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. DaggerAug. Merten S.A. Dagger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast