Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Crossguard Gruppenstempelung 'O' Original?

Article about: Hi there, I found a NSKK/SA dagger with Sturmnummer and Gruppestempulung 'O'. Has there been made a mistake? (Not the complete stempel,...) The crossguard itself looks original to me. Thanks

Default Crossguard Gruppenstempelung 'O' Original?

Hi there,

I found a NSKK/SA dagger with Sturmnummer and Gruppestempulung 'O'.
    Has there been made a mistake? (Not the complete stempel,...)
    The crossguard itself looks original to me.

Thanks in advance,
    Willem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Crossguard Gruppenstempelung 'O' Original?
    P
    Many

I feel stupid. After 3 minutes of searching I found it: Ost (Berlin) for the NSKK daggers...

Thanks after all, and sorry!

Willem

No worries Will.

Your dagger guard is recently marked and has no relation to any of the SA gruppes on the list early and also later in the Third Reich period. The use of the gruppe marks were last seen in 1935. Some early SA crossguards were encountered on mod period examples but has no relevance to location of that gruppe placement.

The A mark over the 17 has been observed on Ernst Pack and Carl Haas SA daggers ..and is not an Eickhorn produced blade.
    Ernst Pack most likely produced the blade blank and sent it to Eickhorn for etching.

Without seeing the rest of the dagger including the motto and scabbard..I would assume from what i can see it is a dagger with mixed period fittings..including a glaring late period aluminum type grip eagle.

More photos would be appreciated.
    Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks! So the 'O' isn't original?
    Here are more pictures:

The crossguards are original and are from the generic sub contractor Piel & Adey

The O is nothing I have ever seen before and is not original to the dagger and is a recent application. It does not come close in comparison of period die stampings and overall condition. Many of these gruppe marks will be seen with a lighter hit on the bottoms of their lettering due to the angle of the crossguard.

These were all stamped by hand and by the thousands.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

And what do you think of the rest? All original?
    Why would someone mark it with an O? Not all crossguards were stamped with Gruppestempels... So stupid to do...

All period fittings but the Guards do not belong to an Early SA Rohm.
    The accent grooves on the guards of your example are not the deep cut type seen on Eickhorn.

The dagger as a whole is authentic..fittings are from multi producers.

Thanks!