Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eagle on this NSKK

Article about: Does the eagle on this NSKK seem strange to anyone else? I feel like it lacks detail and looks too silver...

Default Eagle on this NSKK

Does the eagle on this NSKK seem strange to anyone else? I feel like it lacks detail and looks too silver...
    Eagle on this NSKKEagle on this NSKKEagle on this NSKKEagle on this NSKK

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eagle on this NSKK
    P
    Many

?

IMO: It is a repro eagle in this grip, but you have to open up this dagger to be sure, look for the splints and see if they are new or corroded.
    Looking at the bad fit and the way this eagle has been abused i would look for another one., it looks like its hammered into place.
    The swastika is to thick, compare it with the ones below:

Regards,
    Ger
    Eagle on this NSKK
    Last edited by gerrit; 10-29-2014 at 07:06 PM.

?

It's not the Original eagle.
    Ron

not nice.

I have to agreewith Ron also..as it is not original to the grip..yet I have to disagree with Gerrit about it being repro. This eagle exhibits much of what a nickel eagle would show....if examined closely. This is the type with the head pointing upward. I see much but faintly of what an early eagle would show...yet it is beaten down..and does not belong to the grip or the dagger at all.

This dagger has been around the block a few times and twice on Sundays ...not quite desirable in its present condition and fit. I feel IMO you can d better by seeking this type of example from one of these dealers. Very decent Late Rzm daggers are very easy to come by. Regards Larry
    Lakesidetrader | German WWII Daggers & Medals
    Wittmann Antique Militaria
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-23-2018 at 01:40 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks for the info guys. I knew something was fishy about the eagle. I passed on this one.

?

This is the beautiful part of a forum, seeking for answers

Larry i still think its a repro eagle, why?
    I have Always admired the early nickel eagle's for their wll cast crispness and their lovely well prounced swastika that has well made legs.
    This one lacks any detail and has every leg in different size....i personally dont believe an eagle like this could pass any test.
    Looking thru the beating spots then we should see some fine lining or crsipness, this one has none of the early characteristics.
    Even the later Alu eagles have good looking swastika's

Thats the reason why i posted all the eagles in my first reply.

Even a beating would not change the legs the way they look now.
    But...........then again its my opinion

Look what i mean,
    Ger
    Eagle on this NSKK

?

Gerrit the flatness of the swastika maybe comes due hammering the bird in to the grip you see the same flatness also at the legs and head.

I think it's a repro grip eagle as well-one that was pounded back into a previously de-Nazified grip. As Ger shows, the swaz is distorted in shape beyond what tapping it into the wood would normal do. I would have liked to have seen the back side of this grip to see if there is any corresponding flattening on that side as well.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by gerrit View Post
    This is the beautiful part of a forum, seeking for answers
    Quote by gerrit View Post
    IMO: It is a repro eagle in this grip, but you have to open up this dagger to be sure, look for the splints and see if they are new or corroded.
    I absolutely agree on these 2 points..and when it doubt...check it out. In the case of this beaten down dagger...it would not hurt to open it up...but yet dissecting this beater..would benefit the collector in identifying other things of interest. Tang and crossguard markings..blade shoulders..tang threads etc etc.

In the case of finding the truth which sometimes..can not be found in words..photos or in hand are the only recourse. The Eagle photos from Siegerts SA are beneficial to a point..yes I agree..but yet..discerning crisp eagles to a smashed one is difficult.

I Know the thread and the condition of the dagger may seem pointless,,yet..these little details are a driving force for unanswered questions. Being a Thigh man I would like to see more..lets take a peek inside..the grip..just for the curiousity of the topic. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast