Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early SA Dienstdolch by F. Herder A.S.

Article about: Gents, this is my latest catch, a nice early SA dagger with a great blade with lots of the original cross! The icing on the cake is a great 2 piece hanger with nickel parts! It looks like th

?

Default Early SA Dienstdolch by F. Herder A.S.

Gents, this is my latest catch, a nice early SA dagger with a great blade with lots of the original cross!
    The icing on the cake is a great 2 piece hanger with nickel parts!
    It looks like the scabbard has some scraatching and dents, but thats only schadow markings , it has 1 very small dent on the front just below the crossguard.
    I think, although the seller didnt mentioned it and its inlay is very good, the grip eagle has been replaced along the way, otherwise im very happy with this one!
    Enjoy the pictures
    Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SA Dienstdolch by F. Herder A.S.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Early SA Dienstdolch by F. Herder A.S.

Ohh Yes Ger what a sweet blade very nice pick up
    cheers Ronnie

Eye Popper Gerrit!! The cross grain is great. IMO I feel the icing is the black anodized scabbard making it an NSKK. Very rarely you will see an NSKK with a anodized scabbard...as the majority were painted. That is a find in itself. Nice dark grip!! The grip eagle is a great fit and the lower crossguard to scabbard throat fit is tighter than...... Lol oh you know what I mean. Nice to see that!! Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Thank you gents
    Larry the scabbard has a very deep brown color, its look in de right light almost black, but it is still is brown..dont think its NSKK, a pity for that, LOL
    A few years ago it was not so hard to catch a early SA dagger in good shape....that has changed since!
    Its getting harder and harder and prices going up, it looks like a lot of collectors have discovered the SA dagger too!

Cheers Ger

Got to love all that Cross Grain! The grip wood is also top notch-if the eagle's been replaced, they did an excellent job on it-maybe it was a contemporary repair! You can See that This one was carried big time, by the wear on the sheath reverse's anodizing! That's an SA that would fit in Any collection! Nice find! Hope you got a great deal on it! And you're right-the 2 piece nickel fitted hanger is a nice extra touch!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

A beauty,i only have the one SA but i love the design of these daggers.I think they are truly beautifully designed and yours is a cracking example!!

?

Thank you Gents for the kind words!

i was a bit concerned about the grip eagle, although its a great inlayed one, it differs from the other early ones i have, although they all differ, this ones is very distinct!
    Im totally at ease now, its a typical F.Herder grip eagle, searched and found them on the early Herders
    I'll add this one found on the net, so you can compare:
    and this one is mine:

Cheers Ger

Hi Gerrit,, yea the photos threw me off ,,which made me think the scabbard was black. You still have a fine example! Sometime in the near future the prices for SAs will sky rocket,, and that push in price will come when Tom Wittmann releases his massive SA reference. The time to get these gems is now while the door is still open at reasonable prices. regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 11-11-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

A wonderful piece of steel Ger
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Ger a lovely looking dagger, These items are starting to grow on me,lol...Its a very nice colour & I like the blade...an awesome shape to it !!! I will have to do some reading up on these . Cheers Terry.