Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Early SMF suffering - help needed

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently bought this early SMF, which overall is in very good condition. But it suffers from some kind of "corrosion attack". I am really not sure of the English

Default Early SMF suffering - help needed

Hello everyone,

I recently bought this early SMF, which overall is in very good condition.
    But it suffers from some kind of "corrosion attack".
    I am really not sure of the English term, so I ask you to look at the pictures.

As long as it doesn't get any worse - I don't see it as a big problem.
    The pictures are macro pictures, so it might look worse on the pictures than in reality.

Is there anything I can do about it, (preferably) without dissasembling the dagger?
    If it has been apart, I believe it was a long time ago. So I would like to avoid it.

Best Regards
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early SMF suffering - help needed   Early SMF suffering - help needed  

Early SMF suffering - help needed   Early SMF suffering - help needed  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early SMF suffering - help needed
    P
    Many

Unfortunately, your SA dagger is already damaged by hard cleaning.
    My advice is - not to disassemble dagger, keep it in its current condition.
    Each restoration reduces his value.

Regards
    Vedran

Hi Chris..I myself was eyeballing this dagger..and its a great maker to have..which isnt seen too much..or hardly at all. I would not sweat too much about the corrosion as it is on top of nickel silver..which ..you may be able to pick at it with a wooden toothpick..and not disassemble it. I would worry more with this type of corrosion being on steel more so than Nickel. other than that..you have a great SA dagger.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

A very nice example, congrats!

Sometimes, the old timers would rub down the wood grips with oils to keep them from drying and splitting. It almost looks as if this is what has happened here, as the grip wood is awfully dark. The oils will, sometimes, react with the nickel finish and grow this greenish crud that you have here. As Larry said, it may simply wipe off with abit of perseverance, but I really would not worry overly much about it. It is not like Zinc Pest that will corrode and eat away the very metal itself.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Larry's right, its on nickel silver so I wouldn't worry about it. If you had the plated type you would have a problem but you don't..luckily.
    Maybe pick it off carefully if it bothers you, but it wouldn't really bother me to be honest.

Wagriff you must be a coin collector to know about zinc pest? My collection of reichskreditkassen 's started to get that bugger.

?

That is a lovely dagger with a killer blade, i love it.

As Larry, Matty & William already stated dont worry.
    It will for sure not destroy your nickel guards.
    I think William is spot on, dried oil, if you want to remove it just take a wooden stick, but i would let it this way.

Lovely dagger!

Ger

Thanks.

That is really what I was hoping for - that it won't get any worse.

Hello Matty, Actually, I Have collected coins amongst other things too. I keep meaning to post the war era European group and the accompanying currencies, but there just never seems to be enough hours in a day. Decent health would help considerably too, but I'm not holding my breath-I already Know the answer to that one! Hopefully, this New Year will be abit better and I'll be able to give people a look at them-some are stupidly rare...

But anyway...I hate to tell you, but you have Trouble if your coins are turning to white powder. As far as I've ever found or tried, there pretty much is no way to stop that cancer. People here will recommend you brush it off and coat it in Vaseline to stop it's progress-and it Will, but it won't actually Kill it. A Huge number of German medals and badges are made of zinc and it makes a person cringe to see even a small Spot of it appear. I've seen badges that Pest spots were literally eating the entire piece away. If a person collects wartime era coinage, he can expect to run into Many zinc coins and if I see even the Hint of white spotting on any, I'd pass on them. Far better off to pick up a coin with wear and usage rather than white pest cancer.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Oh dear William, well I hope you have a bit better year and things work out for you.

Sounds like my coins are in for a bad run anyway. Ive just had a look, its more spotting and in the odd corners but still not good.

Oh well, ive had a fair run of good luck it was bound to run out.

Best matty