Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ground Rohm Dagger?

Article about: I pick up this fine dagger from an elderly gentleman who claimed his uncle brought it back in 48'. I am fairly certain it is a ground Rohm dagger. Either way I paid a very reasonable price f

Default Ground Rohm Dagger?

I pick up this fine dagger from an elderly gentleman who claimed his uncle brought it back in 48'. I am fairly certain it is a ground Rohm dagger. Either way I paid a very reasonable price for it so I'm happy. Just wanted to get some thoughts on it.

Regards,

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ground Rohm Dagger?   Ground Rohm Dagger?  

Ground Rohm Dagger?   Ground Rohm Dagger?  

Ground Rohm Dagger?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ground Rohm Dagger?
    P
    Many

Hi Matt ..nice find untouched too ..looks great

Since the Producers Identity had been ground off ..the Gruppe mark "Sw" Sudwest narrows down to 4 producers with Rohm dedications

Gebr Heller " Schmalkalden" - Anchor logo
    Aesculap
    Friedrich Dick
    Stocker & Co. " SMF"

but looking at the type wood being used narrows the search down to 2 possible identities

Gebr Heller
    and SMF

The blade appears to have been heavily cleaned and yet still exhibits some pitting. Still a nice untouched example from what I can see and a very tight fit

If you look down the reverse side of the blade spine tip facing away from you..you should see a waver in the spine caused by the grind off.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

in the 3rd pic down, zooming in on the area where the makers mark would be ,it looks like a letter E is on the blade just below the Sw stamp on the guard. about 1/4 " below the guard

My old eye are no loner the eagle eyes that they used to be, but those in the know might see it????????
    and if I knew how to use this new laptop I would circle what I'm seeing.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Nice woodwork early SA. Certainly, a ground Rohm, but, unfortunately, the grinders were too good at their job and have completely obliterated which maker produced this nice dagger! As Larry said, it's one of the 2, but pretty much impossible to tell past that. It's a nice piece, in any case! A good pick up, for sure!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Ground Rohm Dagger?
    Click on the pic to enlarge.
    Using my older Guberment computer I was able to circle the area where I think I see the letter E.

So what do others think

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 06-09-2017 at 12:44 AM.

Ground Rohm Dagger?

Could be Phil? Your eyes maybe better than you thought lol! Image from germandaggers.com. Best Regards

Brian

Default Definately an E

Thanks guys,

After your input I took a much closer look at the blade and from different angles - and by the way Phil how the hell did you spot that E lol!! You can see two dimples remaining from Rohm's signature and better photos of the remaining crossgrain - I don't think the blade has recently had any work, but thanks again. A great buy for $425!!! And yes Phil that "e" is absolutely there great eyes!

Thanks
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ground Rohm Dagger?   Ground Rohm Dagger?  

Last edited by Magibbs1; 06-09-2017 at 01:48 AM. Reason: misspelling

?

Thanks Matt!! But I have checked the Heller stamps and they are either parallel to the spine or in the circle with the anchor.

The "E" I spotted is almost in the same horizontal plane as the guard.

So what makers mark is in that same orientation where the letter E would be found there?
    I'm hoping that one of the experts on these will chime in with their thoughts.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Good eyes Phil ..this takes us back to the producer F. Dick ...gruppe marked "Sw" ..a later across the spine variant is being used which shows the name "Esslingen" being straight across and not the lower rocker type being curved with the city name Solingen.

Ground Rohm Dagger?

The early type F. Dick grippes were as dark as the Aesculap producer types also being a dark cigar box type. We dont see too much of the across the spine variants and the lighter colored wood is not impossible being later in the early production period. Just my thoughts, but the grip is period and fits nicely.

@ bsiwula " Brian " ..the Gebr Heller variant you show is from Marienthal which runs parallel with the spine. The Schmalkalden type is the Anchor logo type I pointed out in my post 2 .

Ground Rohm Dagger?

My last 2 guesses were off but within my first 4 producer possibilities

Nice to put a producer face to this dagger..a big thankyou to Hawkeye Phil ..I would not of seen that "E" through that mess.
    Have a cigar

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 06-09-2017 at 04:17 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill