Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ground Rohm ?? SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORN

Article about: Sharpening a dress dagger ? ! ? Tsk - tsk.........!

Default Ground Rohm ?? SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORN

Ground Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNI was searching the forum and saw a ground Rohm dagger Ade has in his collection. Mine also has the number "2" on the underside of the cross-guard and the Wf stamp. My makers mark, however, is not next to the handle like Ade's and mine has the letters "C.E." under the squirrel (or whatever animal that is). Could mine also be a ground Rohm, or just a later production dagger? Are the ones with the number stamped on the underside of the guard more valuable? Just thought it was cool to see one almost exactly like mine with the same markings and all.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ground Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORN
    P
    Many

Default re: Ground Rohm ?? SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORN

Hi, nice to know you have been reading old threads! there is a wealth of buried treasure on the forum.

Moving onto the dagger. It is a good original, but not a ground Rohm. The special Rohn dedication blade required the maker trademark to be moved close up againist the lower crossguard in order to fit everything on the blade in nice proportions. By the way, "Eickhorn" is Squirrel in German, hence the trade mark. A visual pun. The trade mark on yours was used 1933 to 1934. The smaller trade mark like on mine was used 1934/35.

The number under the crossguard is a "benchmark": it is thought that is represented an assembly number relating to a particular work bench. Nice to see, but it does not increase value.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ground Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORN  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Ade there were some Rohm's made early on using this early large oval maker mark. They are rare but do exist.
    Best Regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul. That is interesting and something I had not heard of before. I take it the trademark was up against the crossguard?

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Nope, exactly where it is on this example in post #1. if I get a chance before the SOS I'll try and find an example in my archives. If you think about it though it makes sense. The SA dagger was not officially blessed for full production till late 1933. Rohm Purge was June 30 so really there was only 7 months or so when these were produced. I believe it took Eickhorn a couple months to figure out the small logo made more sense than the large.
    Finally, and this is just my opinion, I believe that 95% of the factory ground Rohms we see were pieces that were in production at the time of the purge and were just run through the grinder again.

Ground Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNGround Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORNI will try to get a couple pics of my dagger from an angle on the side where the Rohm would have been. Maybe then we can decide if it is or is not a ground Rohm.

OK. Inserted a few pics--the best ones I could get. Hopefully by enlarging them someone (Lakesidetrader or Ade possibly) can look at the pics and let me know what I have! thanks

I cannot see any evidence of it being a Rohm personally? Certainly no trace remains. But a factory regrind will remove it all. The edge has certainly been sharpened which is a pity.

Cheers, Ade.

Yes, it has been sharpened, but it was done very well.

Photographing crossgraining is the hardest thing to accomplish sometimes and mostly due to lighting. To make it easy try taking your dagger blade near or turn the flat side of the blade until you see a reflection of light coming from the window,, you should be able to capture it. But this will take patience. Do not use direct flash as in the pictures shown which only creates a white blur. take the photos in a low lit room ( No Flash ) in the middle of the day. Try this technique only for crossgrain photos. For future photos,,use indirect lighting in a room,( light that is shined onto a ceiling or wall for your overall shots. Here is a pic of my Early Eickhorn SA,, Smooth tail variety,,compliments of Lakesidetrader.
    The indirect lighting will improve any photo with practice. I hope this helps Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ground Rohm ??  SA Dienstdolch by EICKHORN  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast