Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Help Engraved German Dagger - SA

Article about: I would appreciate any info regarding the dagger, makers, name, production, etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's quite rusty and dirty too. If anyone could advise me on how to c

Default Help Engraved German Dagger - SA

I would appreciate any info regarding the dagger, makers, name, production, etc.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's quite rusty and dirty too. If anyone could advise me on how to clean it without damaging it too. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Engraved German Dagger - SA   Help Engraved German Dagger - SA  

Help Engraved German Dagger - SA   Help Engraved German Dagger - SA  

Last edited by Warrior; 05-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help Engraved German Dagger - SA
    P
    Many

I have not seen anything like it before, other will provide more comments.
    John

I have never seen anything similar either. Extremely strange dagger, I really dont know what to think about that piece at all and although I know very little about German WW2 daggers that one is quite suspicious to me. SA dagger should not has ornament like that on itself, that could easily be some kind of a fake.

Best regards,
    Franko

Jan
    ?

Very strange engravings... not the ones I would expect on a dagger of this type and/or time period.

Best,

Jan

Not one for me it's a skill set that's not commonly found now - according to some of the old timers that were asked about this kind of work they almost invariably pointed to PW gunmakers/engravers in Europe. From countries like Belgium, although there is nothing that rules out the U.S. or some other places where they had that kind of talent available. One old school collection of engraved fakes in the U.S. many decades ago I think even made its way into a book. FP

Post war enhancement aping the SA Honor Dagger imo. SA orders prohibited alteration to external appearance of the service dagger. Blade personalization was permitted. Pictures attached of original SA Honor Dagger.

Help Engraved German Dagger - SAHelp Engraved German Dagger - SAHelp Engraved German Dagger - SAHelp Engraved German Dagger - SAHelp Engraved German Dagger - SAHelp Engraved German Dagger - SAHelp Engraved German Dagger - SAHelp Engraved German Dagger - SA

Emil Maurice Dagger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Engraved German Dagger - SA   Help Engraved German Dagger - SA  

Im not going to comment on the Emil Maurice dagger as the dagger posted in this thread has questions of its own.

Can we see closeups of the lower scabbard fitting ..as it appears to be only an image ..and not an engraving. Strange how light plays tricks like that.

Also Im seeing a shade lighter around the engraving on that lower fitting...curious why that is also.
    The screws have been replaced on the lower fitting and are not the period type and can also be recent. One screw on the upper fitting is also a replacement.

IMO I think the scabbard throat has been messed with or the upper scabbard fitting been replaced or superimposed ?
    Interesting feature is the SA gruppe mark "Sw' that appears on the crossguard. Just an observation.
    and Im quite sure this grip does not belong with this dagger at all due to the condition of the grip to the lower engraved guard.

Would the SA mann remove his preexisting guards to have them engraved or have new ones put on and matched perfectly to fit?
    Just a question.

A extreme closeup photo please of the lower scabbard fitting in question and hopefully will answer why Im seeing a lighter shaded area that may have had something applied around the engraving ..or image?

Nice belt and hanging rig by the way
    Thread moved to SA dagger forum.
    Regards Larry

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Photo

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast