Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern

Article about: Today marks the 79th anniversary of the “ Night of the Long Knives” and this day siginifies the removal of Ernst Rohm and other High SA leaders. The Night of the Long Knives was a turning po

Default June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern

Today marks the 79th anniversary of the “ Night of the Long Knives” and this day siginifies the removal of Ernst Rohm and other High SA leaders. The Night of the Long Knives was a turning point in the History of Germany. Hitler had made it clear that he was supreme ruler of Germany who had the right to be judge and jury, and had the power to decide whether people lived or died. With Rohm out of the way,,a clear path had been cut for Himmlers SS.

The following was written By Thomas Wittmann: Prior to his "unmasking" as a traitor, Ernst Röhm was the leader of the SA. In 1934, he distributed approximately 100,000 SA daggers with his personal inscription on the reverse blade. These daggers were to honor individuals who had served with the SA prior to December, 1931. Other than the inscription, these pieces were identical to the standard M1933 SA dagger. After the Röhm purge, the inscription was ordered to be removed. Many examples were returned to the factory for grinding. Others were simply ground in the field by whatever means were available. Examples will occasionally be encountered with remnants of the original inscription remaining on the blade, but mostly none will remain. Some blades exist with an intact inscription, reflecting only the removal of the Röhm signature. Very very rarely is an example seen with a full, untouched inscription, as the holder would have surely risked a charge of treason.

With SA Rohm Dedication….compiled by English collector Neal Jackson

Aesculap
    Gebr. Bell
    F.Dick
    Carl Eickhorn
    Friedrich Herder
    Gottlieb Hammesfahr
    Haco
    Haenel Of Suhl
    Gebr.Heller "Schmalkalden" Anchor logo
    JA Henckels
    Richard Herder
    Wilhelm Kober of Suhl
    Lauterjung - Tigerwerk
    PD Luneschloss
    David Malsch
    August Merten
    Ernst Pack & Sohn "EP&S"
    SMF
    Gefrees Spaltender
    J.P. Sauer
    Wagner and Lange
    Anton Wingen
    Ed Wustoff

There are also SS Rohm Makers to be included:

Carl Eickhorn ( small logo )
    Heinrich Boker ( small logo )
    Gottlieb Hammesfahr
    Richard Herder
    Robert Klaas
    Wilhelm Kober

Does anyone have one of these in their collection either with FULL INSCRIPTION,,PARTIAL,,LAZY MAN type,, PROFESSIONAL REGROUND or back yard job,, that would match any of these logos? I have included a few Ground types listed above.
    Does anyone have a Rohm dedication pattern dagger to add to this thread please post what ever type you have! Regards Larry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern   June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern  

June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern   June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern  

Attached Images Attached Images June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern 
    Last edited by Larry C; 04-08-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern
    P
    Many

Default Re: June 30 1934

Included below are the SA Gruppe districts and the amount designated to........ Totaling 125,960........Compiled by Ralf Siegert

Berlin "B".................................8300
    Bayerische Ostmark "BO"........3200
    Franken "Fr"............................4100
    Hansa "Ha"..............................3000
    Hessen "He"............................5500
    Hochland "Ho".........................6160
    Mitte "Mi".................................6000
    Niederhein "Nrh"......................8500
    Nordmark "No"........................4600
    Nordsee "Ns"...........................4100
    Ostereich "Oe".........................3200
    Ostland "OST"..........................6100
    Ostmark "Om".........................4500
    Pommern "P"..........................5700
    Sachen "Sa" and "SA".............7900
    Schleisen "S"...........................8700
    Sudwest "Sw".........................7900
    Thuringen "Th".......................4800
    Westmark "Wm"....................7800
    Westfalen "Wf".......................9700
    Last edited by Larry C; 03-15-2014 at 03:58 PM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Default June 30 1934

Hi this is my first post here and I thought I would show you my 'Lazy man grind'Rohm Ehrendolh made by Hanel,Suhl.

Jon Page.
    Attachment 553334Attachment 553336Attachment 553341Attachment 553338Attachment 553340Attachment 553339Attachment 553345
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern   June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern  

June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern   June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern  

Hi Larry,
    Thank you for the post. I recently discovered, through the use of the forum, that one of the daggers a family member brought back from the war was a Rohm dagger. I think the Night of Long Knives is a very fascinating subject. Thank you for this post!
    Thaddeus

Default Partial Rohm Dagger SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Ludwig Deeg.

This is the partial Rohm dagger of SS Hauptsturmfuhrer Ludwig Deeg.
    I have received a nice thick research package from SS researcher Ross Kelbaugh and I wanted to share. There is a lot more that I still have to translate including a letter written by Deeg which is long and hard to read and many official letters and documents including a complete SS officer and Race and settlement files.As there is too much to post here I will be making more information available to anyone interested via a web site I am working on including scans of some of the documents and will publish soon and post a link here. I had already had a name and a face via in a thread Ross posted on ssdaggersforum,I came across it by accident one afternoon when not even looking for the owner of my dagger I'm sure you can imagine what that was like.Ross provided an excellent service at what I thought is very reasonable price for the work and expertise that is involved, and far cheaper than I expected.

Regards Jon

Hauptsturmfuhrer Ludwig Deeg,SS No1403.
    Ludwig Deeg a Munich man was born on the 10th of December 1882,a veteran of WW1 he served with the army before and during the Great War first serving from 1902 -03 with Bayern infantry regiment Kompanie 6 and then from 14 September 1914-November 1918 with 1 Landsturm Infantry Battalion,20 Bayern Infantry regiment his rank being Unteroffizier from July 1915.He joined the SS in December 1928 joining the NSDAP at the same time his number being 104982,his SS Zivilabzeichen or"SS Civil Badge"number was 342.Deeg’s address in Munich was right around the corner from Princeregentspaltz, Hitlers appartment from 1929.In civilian life he was a construction technician his employer 'Bayern Versicherungs' Munich,an insurance company with the SS he worked as an accountant rising to state account inspector (Rechnungsinspektor).Deeg was married, he and his wife Anna had no children of their own but they did have a foster son called Frizt.Deeg was 30% war disabled and there are several letters in his file referring to this. He struggled with heart problems and died at his home Zaubzerstabe 4 on the 25th July 1942 and he was buried at Ostfriedhof(East cemetery) Munich on 28thJuly 1942.

Military service to 1918;

1902 -03 with Bayern infantry regiment ,Kompanie 6.
    14th September 1914-November 1918 1st Landsturm Infantry Battalion,20 Bayern Infantry regiment
    rank Unterofficer from July 1915

SS sevice history is as follows;

1928-1931 1 SS-Standarte
    21 August 1934:Fuhrer in the 34 SS-Standarte
    1 April 1936:Fuhrer in the Stammabteilung Sud Bezirk.34.
    1 June 1938:Fuhrer in the Stammabteilung Sud.Bezirk.1.
    25 July 1942 Deceased(Verstorben)
    his ranks were
    Allgemeine-SS
    SS Anwater(candidate)1st-December 1928
    SS-Mann 1st December 1928
    SS- Hauptsturmfuhrer 2nd March 1934

His awards and decorations;

Ehrenkreuz 1914-1918 fur Frontkampfer(Honour Cross for combatants)
    also known as the Hindenburg cross
    Bayern Konig Ludwig Kreuz
    Im Felde erworbene Landesorden(Field awarded ''land'' decoration)
    SS Ehrenwinklefur alten kampfer(ss Honour cheveron fo the old guard)
    Ehrendolch der SS (honour dagger with Rohm inscription).
    Totenkopfring der SS.
    Julleushter(Yule lantern).

Once again first class service from Ross Kelbaugh and many thanks to him I was lucky that so much could be found out in this case.

www.ssdaggers.com
    www.ss-numbers.com
    www.HistoricGraphics.com

June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern
    June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription patternJune 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern
    Last edited by Lord Page; 09-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.

An interesting observation: The death card states "Unfortunately, it was not granted to him to experience final victory"...Things were still deceptively going well for the Germans in July 1942...!
    cheers, Glenn

Hi Jon..and what a great addition to your collection and more so here a great addition this forum. Ultra hard to find these Rohm SS daggers any more with partial to full inscriptions. Alot of History here with this dagger ...the owner....and the SA / SS organization itself. Thank you for your contribution to this forum. Best Regards Larry

Hello all,
    I have not posted/shared any of my pieces on this forum, so I thought I would share my Eickhorn SA.
    I'm very happy with the "Faulpelz" removal of Röhm's signature, leaving just enough detail to be seen.
    Luckily the splendid double oval CE trademark was unaffected.
    I'm very pleased with this piece! Ground Röhms, be it partial or otherwise just breathe history....

Attachment 569548Attachment 569549Attachment 569550Attachment 569551

I walked the Max show floor for hours and going back over the same aisles and tables..always seeing something different. The most important thing for me..is to have some kind of focus before going to a show like this..or anyone will just buy anything for the sake of buying it. Not a good idea..IMO. I always wanted a Wilhelm Kober for my SA collection..as it has the low step type crossguards,..the lowest of all SA makers..where the grip appears to be sitting on top of the crossguard compared to others that sit low sunken in the guards ..1/8-1/4 inch depth.
    When I search……it is a hunting / fishing expedition…coming across many desirable other types of daggers and just putting them back down..because I know what it is I came to the show for in the first place. I ran across a few Kober SAs during my search only to put them down also……in my heart,,it wasn’t the right one……..I came upon Bill Sheas ( Ruptured Duck ) table…again as I have passed it before and looked…but this time..there was a dagger there that wasnt there before. This shoots to hell the theory that dealer setup day is the only day anyone can get good finds. During those 3 days..One does not know who walks in off the street and has something to sell..as I have an SS dagger with a very rare vertical hanger that I bought back in 1994 Maxshow..on a late Saturday afternoon.
    The Kober I saw at Bill Shea`s table caught my attention as the grip was some thing to behold. Closer inspection revealed a strap wrapped around the upper crossguard..which is a remnant of a vertical hanger..and no carrying ring. The crossguard fit to the grip was tight..including the tight fit of how the crossguard sat on the upper scabbard fitting with no gaps. I found my dagger!!!!!......................BUT..and I like big buts ………..to my surprise when I pulled the dagger out of the scabbard….beautiful crossgraining all the way down to the tip and a beautifully executed dark burnishing remained in the motto. …( the dagger is uncleaned in the photos )…………..I looked at the reverse side of the blade and again to my surprise….included was visual remnants of a Rohm Inscription. The name is gone except for a few little tick marks of the name but……”Im herlicher k” is still visible through the grinding. I was not expecting a Rohm dagger and especially from Wilhelm Kober!!....right then and there..I knew in my heart this was the one. The Hunt was over…and the New Moon which fell on the 4th of October…paid off as a month prior I was foretold of this prophecy of luck on the new moon. …ridiculously from a fortune cookie message. ( See photo) I found this dagger on Oct 4.
    This Renegade producer IMO dared to be different..aside from all the other SA producers..except Haenel of Suhl..Sauer..and Haco..which chose to look appealing in a different kind of way. I also included a side by side photo..Of my Kober and a Pfeilringwerk grip. Noticeably the lower grip shoulders vary in width..Kober being larger than most other producers.
    A side by side photo to show the large difference in crossguard depth between the Kober SA on the left and an August Kulenburg SA on the right. Included also is a hap hazzardly Gruppe mark "He" application which is correct for this maker.
    Below are my photos of a great find for me..as its all about the hunt..first..and not Impulse.

a few more

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast