Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Karl Malsh SA Dagger

Article about: The rarity scale ranges from #1 being the most common like Eickhorn and Pack to the rarest #10 of examples such as Richard Drees and Wilhelm Krieger

Forgive me as I wrap my head around this. I think I'm a tad confused.

This particular dagger is seen 6 in every 1000 daggers? Is that separate from the rarity rating, or does that correlate to it being a rarity of "6", or is it still a "9"? There may be two ratings here that I'm mixing up.
    "Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief." - C.S. Lewis

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Ok ..if one dagger is seen in 1000..then its rare of that particular producer...but if lets say 6 more are seen from the same producer..it is no longer that rare ..and can not hold the same status of being 1/1000......the frequency sighting has increased and lowering the number from a '9" to an 7 or 8 in rarity....OR going in the direction of becoming common.

Dont be confused..I chose the number 6 as an example. The more of the same producer you see the more common it becomes. There are some documented fact about production numbers from the larger firms..but not all figures are available for all the producers. We can not assume what we can not see..and by what someone else says...but Solingen Stadt archives state on some surviving invoices of certain producers that the low number of dagger ordered start at 1000. Most of the Solingen factories were decimated by bombing towards the end of the war..and only a few whose records survived unscathed.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

This is a rare maker as stated above, whats even stranger that it slipped thru the local Gau markings controls center without a stamp.
    You did very well on the price eventhou this one is a bit salty.
    Ralf stated that approx. a 1000 were produced with a rarity of 9 ( do not confuse it with the McSarr list: McSarr counted how many daggers of the same producer were within a 1000 explored ones)

Regards,
    Ger
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	malsch.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	730214

Here's a picture of the back of the grip I missed when I pulled down the set.

Name:	DSCN0831.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	730215

I appreciate the help. The seller said he'd snap a few more shots out in the daylight tomorrow. It's a done deal if I want it at this point.

The ratings are starting to make sense to me now.

?

avenger,

Considering the greying & edged nicks on the blade $675 is a very good price to pay for this rare maker SA with a $200 3 peice hanger included

I see some strong crossgrain remaining on the blade so it looks like its not been cleaned before which is a sign

Snap this one up !

Regards Mac 66.

The updated better lighting photos are in. The dagger has a shallow dent on the scabbard that you can see in the first two photos, but otherwise I think the grip and blade looks a little better in this light than the previous set. I think I'll be getting this one. He's also going to throw in a replacement SA rune button he had picked up for this should I want to swap it out.

Name:	DSCN0833.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	202.6 KB 
ID:	730382

Name:	DSCN0834.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	730383

Name:	DSCN0837.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	730385

Name:	DSCN0836.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	730384

Name:	DSCN0841.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	730388

Name:	DSCN0839.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	730386

Name:	DSCN0840.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	730387

Name:	DSCN0842.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	730389

Name:	DSCN0844.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	730390

Leave the Runes button alone..dont switch anything out. History and value will be forever altered.

The L2/5 maker comes up on my leather list as unknown and last known RZM Number was L2/5/37. This example is much earlier prior to seeing dated examples.

It is also nice to see that brass spot on the head of the snap clip..in the middle of the green verdigris. This is common only with certain producers. Not all oblongated snap clips had this attribute. The "D" is the pebbled type. Nice combination..these 3pc rigs are expensive and in some better conditioned examples could be 1/3 of the price of a decent dagger already specified.

Please do not do anything or alter this dagger in any way..I beseech thee !! Take care of it. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Is using simi chrome still okay on these, or is it better to not even do that? I always lean towards leaving things original, but I'm also not against cleaning in ways that will not hurt or detract from the piece.

Just paid the man, and he even offered to pick up the paypal fees and just split the shipping with me. Super nice guy who I hope I can do more business with in the future. So, this cost all of $685 for all the pieces and shipping and fees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12