MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.

Article about: Hello , what a great forum for a newbie. Already learned the good and bad of the hobby with some pins I purchased. Anyhow that is life . This is my first dagger that i could get my hands on

Default Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.

Hello , what a great forum for a newbie. Already learned the good and bad of the hobby with some pins I purchased. Anyhow that is life . This is my first dagger that i could get my hands on . No blade markings at all. Does that mean the blade has been changed out ? Or possible it just came that way? Here are some pic's and any input would be great ! Thanks again!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.   Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.  

Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.   Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.  

Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.   Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.  

Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.
    P
    Many

?

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

First thought was ground Rohm , but I never saw the front motto ground off also! Also looks like the tip was broken and reshaped, the rest looks good , shame about the blade, thats my two cents for now, and welcome to the hobby!

Hi KK..thanks for posting this dagger.
    Guards and grip have Carl Eickhorn traits...the SA Gruppe mark "Ho" for Hochland is not a normally seen SA gruppe that Eickhorn sent daggers to that region. Normally this sole Gruppe mark is only found on the off ends of the lower crossguard ,,but rare occasion has shown for this mark to be centered as seen on your example.

A peek inside the upper and lower guards will reveal some foundary cast markings which will help identify what producers these guards were supplied to..or if these were an in house cast by Eickhorn.

Also a peek onto the blade tang will also reveal a marking if at all any. If no marking..there is still proof of what producers used unmarked tangs.

The grip fit to guards are very nice which leads me to think this blade may have been added post war . Blade blanks have been found throughout Solingen after the war. The blade blanks were ready for acid etching which this one appears not to have made it to that process and left on a shelf. I do believe that this blade is early with the rest of the dagger..but was not original to the grip and guards.

The scabbard was repainted over for some reason covering over the original anodized scabbard. I guess the person before you felt that the finish was thinning out and brown paint would be best. Unfortunately ..not the case which lowered the value of the scabbard. All early daggers had nickel fittings which this scabbard still retains .

I would say gently use a piece of cloth around the tang nut and lightly grip it with pliers avoiding any marks on the tang nut. Trust me this dagger has been opened to place this blade blank in place..and will not hurt to reopen it again. Im curious of the cast markings that i have specified.
    At your convenience pics of the cast markings on inside guards and on the blade tang.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Fantasic write up Larry, I will try and get on it ...Keep you posted!

MAP
    ?

Quote by koisokok View Post
    Fantasic write up Larry, I will try and get on it ...Keep you posted!
    And so nice to see you becoming a Gold Member right from the start
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

ok , that was easy! Screw wasn't tight at all, and came off nicely. Found some markings for you , hope this helps. Also thanks again.!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.   Newbie with first SA dagger purchase. No blade markings.  

"The price of admission is worth it's weight in gold"..
    ;0

?

Well Larry was spot on with the Eickhorn guards as these ones are marked H.E. that means: Hause Eickhorn! (House Eickhorn)
    The Tang and therefore the blade is not an eickhorn one and has been added postwar.

Regards
    Ger

Can you please let me know the maker mark on the Tang? Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast