Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No makers mark SA?

Article about: Just got this one along with a bunch of other stuff. I wonder what the "854" is all about? Might be reground. Nice cross hatching all over so I don't think it has been goofed up. W

Quote by DerKerl View Post
    Could it be a professionally reground Rohm?
    Yes....Good point!!......this could possibly be as there have been rare instances of daggers..( by close in hand inspection ) to show professional re-graining..removing all of any inscription and logo..yes there are instances of this happening. I have seen just a small few of this. In photos it is very difficult to distinguish..but an in hand inspection..will reveal if it has been re-grained. Good Point Der Kerl!!
    In Regards to this being a Rohm dagger with an unmarked crossguard..still leaves questions..why it is left without a Gruppe mark. I am still on the theory of being left over from the factory and put together..but...try to compare both sides of the blade with each other to see if there is any graining difference. A regrind will show ever so slightly thicker grain lines..compared to the original minute lines..almost un detectable unless you hold the dagger in such a way you see the graining.

To also see if this was once a Rohm dagger..take the top of the crossguard and place it on the bridge of your nose and look down towards the tip of the blade. Take notice if there may be a slight wave on the Blade spine..from the grinding process..a trained eye will see this as it is not that obvious,,,but it is there as no regrained daggers that I know of..have had a perfect spine from regraining. There is always some sort of trace left over.

The grip eagle looks to be a replacement or it is over flashed on.........either way..the grip eagle should show at least some patina and age..this eagle does not and is one of the reasons why better photos with less flash are needed.

These are things to look for..for an in hand inspection..but really cant give any credibility to this dagger from the photos posted. Less flash would be best or outside photos on an over cast day would be perfect to show all detail. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Either way, still a great dagger . The eagle looks fine to me
    - I'd have no problems with it in my collection.........!

There is a softening of the sharp edge on the spine in the area of where the makers mark should be. But, there are consistent grind marks in that area as well. And oddly a bit of that softening on the etched side opposite as well. There is an odd variation in the number of grind marks per inch as you go up and down the blade on both sides. The over all condition is outstanding save for a dent in the scabbard and a little misshapening on an upper edge of the lower scabbard end. There is a missing screw on the lower scabbard end. I got this in a very cheap grouping of stuff from a vet through a gun shop. I could send it if it would help to have it in hand for you. Doug

Default Inside pic

A guy here at the show had the proper tool and took the dagger apart. I got this pic. He also replaced the missing screw so I no longer have a missing screw. I just hate to have a screw loose. This guy also supposes that this one is a reground Hammersfar? Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040737.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	190.9 KB 
ID:	566236  

"I hate when that happens"....having a screw loose..but if it were not for loose screws this world would be boring..LOL...anyway ....hard to say if this was a Gottlieb Hammesfahr..or a Hammesfahr & Cie..then again no telling what it could be. The Crossguards ( Who are Piel & Adey ) are a generic variety which are common with most that really doesnt narrow down a maker....the letter "H" on the tang comes from the producer of Karl Robert Kaldenbach,,which is a rare maker being at number 10 on the SA rarity scale. The blade is rare...but..the dagger itself is not Kaldenbach,,as it does not appear as a Rohm inscription producer. On the Rohm producers list...on the link below.

This blade was made for another producer to fill a production there would be no reason for a Rare #10 maker to do any kind of grinding or removal of their logo. I still feel this may have been a Rohm as per.."your grinding description in your above statement"...but still not sure of a true identity.

Looking at the curvature of the blade shoulders...I am really curious of the underside of the lower crossguard if there is a recessed area to where the blade shoulders would seat itself into. I still think this may be an Eickhorn Rohm..judging by the wood and the crossguard curvatures. Great thread!!

I feel what would bring to light the identity when you can is to have some close up photos of the reverse side of the see the grinding marks.

June 30 1934 - Rohm inscription pattern
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nothing to add Larry
    just a crossguard with recess sample
    Name:  cg.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  18.6 KB

There is a recess on mine. Doug
    Last edited by DerKerl; 09-08-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: correcction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12