MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

No makers mark SA?

Article about: Just got this one along with a bunch of other stuff. I wonder what the "854" is all about? Might be reground. Nice cross hatching all over so I don't think it has been goofed up. W

Default No makers mark SA?

Just got this one along with a bunch of other stuff. I wonder what the "854" is all about? Might be reground. Nice cross hatching all over so I don't think it has been goofed up. Weird. Doug
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No makers mark SA?   No makers mark SA?  

No makers mark SA?   No makers mark SA?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement No makers mark SA?
    P
    Many

Hi Doug , I have an SA dagger that has a number lightly scratched into the sheath , I was told it could either be the SA manns number or a post war "insurance" policy number, but as the list of SA service numbers is lost to history I will never know!! Leon P.S ,nice dagger!!

Hi Doug..I would like to see the rest of the blade and the motto especially. Although so far it looks authentic until we can see the rest of the blade.....this is one of these end of the war put togethers made from left over stock...most likely from the same factory..as all the fittings look like they fit nicely together. There is no SA gruppe mark present on the lower scabbard another sign this was unissued. Daggers were not put together first and then the logo and motto applied...it was logo and motto applied first ...then dagger assembly. This is still an authentic and period fitted dagger..with no identity. Still very collectible and rare to find.
    The 854 could mean anything from any time. Post some photos of the whole blade when you get a chance. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I do have a favor to ask.......could you take detailed photos of everything and post them all here on this thread?......some of the characteristics might help identify who the maker is..just by crossguard style..grip shape and color. ..grip eagle..and motto...if any!! Just from the photos from what i can see of the crossguards and the grip..I am leaning on Eickhorn produced!...an inside peek of the crossguard foundary marks may help also. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

This is a hard one to identify.
    I need a better shot at the Eagle, not from the side but straight on it.
    It's the high neck type with a big pronounced beak, like again.... Herder Sa used a lot, but there are a few more who did, i need to see the eye inlay.
    I dont think its an Eick, the eagle doesnt fit in.
    A tang pic, or crossguard would be great.

Ger

more pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture No makers mark SA?   No makers mark SA?  

I tend to agree now Gerrit that it may not be Eickhorn..by the high location of the runes button close to the upper crossguard...but a look at the foundry marks would be beneficial.

?

Larry,

i have not found an exact Eagle match, so without a tang/crossguard marking i cant identify this one.

Kerl: you can see the light reflecting at the top spots, no flash and no direct sunlight is needed to get a good picture, now we lose details in the "shiny" parts.

If you want to now a bit more the only way is to open up the dagger.
    Please try if the nut can be turned by hand.

Ger

I tried to turn it by hand and no go. Sorry. I am not really that interested in who the maker is but how this got the way it is. Could it be a factory oops that made it out the door? I don't know but the engraved "854" kind of suggests not. Could it be a professionally reground Rohm? Maybe, but then what is the "854" all about. Where are the other 853? Many questions but no answers. I just know that I have never seen one without a makers mark before. I find it hard to believe that this one was made so late in the war that they didn't originally make it without a makers mark but maybe? Who knows? Doug

?

Hi Doug,

althou its made of all early silver nickel parts and the scabbard being anodized and finished with zapon lacquer, the lack of a Gau marking on the back of the lower guard makes it not likely to be a factory ground rohm.
    The presentation of a SA honor dagger in 1934 was a very important event.
    All daggers would be Gau marked/stamped before they were issued.
    Yours lacks the Gau mark, in those early days this was not done.

You have a strange dagger here, its not likely it has been opened before if you cant turn the nut by hand.
    Its not likely that this one is assembled after the war, or even very late in the war, i will explain way i think its not:
    Being a very late dagger then it would not be likely that this dagger is made of all early parts, everyone had great shortage of supply's.
    This is an early quality build one.

so it will Always be guessing what the number is on the dagger, its not a unit marking.
    But the number was important enough for someone to make the effort of engraving it on guard and scabbard fitting.

Cheers,
    Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast