Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Nskk?

Article about: Hello Everyone I would appreciate your help on the dagger shown below please. Do you think it's a "correct" one or not? Any comments would be appreciated. Many thanks John

Default Nskk?

Hello Everyone
    I would appreciate your help on the dagger shown below please.
    Do you think it's a "correct" one or not?
    Any comments would be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nskk?   Nskk?  

Nskk?   Nskk?  

Nskk?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nskk?
    P
    Many

Hi John..the dagger itself is rare although rated a 7 on rarity...production numbers IMO were low.
    Guards are correct being the same guards used on NPEA.

The scabbard is a repaint..and IMO and just my thoughts does not belong with this dagger.

Nice find on the dagger itself.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi John E&F Horster did make fantastic daggers the early craftmanschip of them was very good. Also I like the Makers Mark of Horster, its one of my favorites

The Dagger itself you show us looks good and original but I have also my consurns about the scabbard its indeed a repaint and the throat looks bent.
    I see different hight placed upper fitting screws so it could be a EP&S scabbard.

Regards Rafael

Thanks Larry and Rafael for your replies.
    I am extremely thankful to you both for pointing out the scabbard is wrong for the dagger.
    May I ask both of you how you knew scabbard is not right. In my ignorance I thought the fit to the dagger was ok? I would be grateful if you both could educate me as to what to look for. Am I right in thinking the fit is ok or am I missing something. Rafael, you say the upper screws are different in height, is this what alerted you to the mis match or is there something else as well?
    Thanks again guys, your knowledge is invaluable.
    John

Hi John Yes the different hight of the upper fitting screws are one thing that alerted me. The others are I see some work damage on the scabbard throat probably to make the fit better to the lower guard. Also this fittings are the thinny type,s, The Horster daggers I've seen has more the Fat type with more details, this ones looks very straight. But thats my opinion.

Regards Rafael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nskk?  

We dont know exactly what happened between post war 1945 while the troops were still there and until present..that either a GI or allied troop....matched the fit of the lower guard to the scabbard throat or the same process practiced recently. That possibility exists !

Study from other Horster types as Rafael has commented sheds a better light on authenticity.

The pain on the scabbard has that new appearance ..not sure what was beneath that paint originally. It also easy to create something that never was by adding a black scabbard to an SA dagger..and it becomes Instant NSKK.

This is why we need to take the extra steps and go back and research..to know and understand the small details that are mostly over looked by new collectors of edged weapons. These details do make or break someones day...and also a persons wallet.
    Study is everything. cool miltaria

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Very Nice Love the Dagger

Sorry for the delay in replying to your comments Rafael, Larry C and redsled, but I've away for a few days. Anyway thanks to you all.
    Thanks both Rafael and Larry for pointing out the things that make the scabbard questionable.
    I fully accept both your points about research and knowledge and am grateful for your inputs and this wonderful forum, where I as a learner can ask questions and get extremely knowledgeable replies from people like your good selves.
    Many thanks
    John