Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NSKK dagger with vertical hanger

Article about: Hi guys, One of the first daggers I bought when I started collecting german daggers was this NSKK dagger with vertical hanger. I bought it from a veterans son and he told me the hanger and t

?

Default NSKK dagger with vertical hanger

Hi guys,

One of the first daggers I bought when I started collecting german daggers was this NSKK dagger with vertical hanger. I bought it from a veterans son and he told me the hanger and the little metal hanger with the four crosses have allways been together. I really would like to hear some opinions on both the hanger and the hanger with metal chain/crosses. What do you guys think about them? I personally never saw the little chain on any dagger. All opinions are welcome.

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSKK dagger with vertical hanger   NSKK dagger with vertical hanger  

NSKK dagger with vertical hanger   NSKK dagger with vertical hanger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSKK dagger with vertical hanger
    P
    Many

Hi Danny, never seen the little chain before either. But many men added their own style of rigs to these daggers. So who knows?

I like all I see.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I'm not really sure.
    But i know that people in many cases, attach daggers saber bayonets on clip or small chains, to hang on the wall, like a decoration.
    I have a similar example in my U.S. unmarked Carl Eickhorn M1902 sword.

Nordland

?

The hanger is a very late production.
    The production proces has been simplyfied for cheap mass production.
    Looks like the backplate is made of pressed fiber instead of 1 piece leather.
    Nice quality staples that attach the leather straps to the plate.

Ger

Hi Danny...Interesting!! and I say "cautiously".....a rare Mid period transitional....although the Mid period in 1938....I have only seen this producer with a 1939 date. Interesting to say the least..but Im not ready to dismiss it either. The Logo and RZM number fit and match the specs of a transitional logo. Crossgraining looks good also...for me I would like an in hand inspection of the blade or a very close up look at the logo.

The hanger sorry to say has not been with this dagger..and is a recent add on......OR... the scabbard itself has been repainted as neither match each other in condition. On the hanger the loop with the buckle looks good and the scabbard retainer loop also. Im not so sure of the Coffin back itself.
    I would like to see better eyes on and hear comments on the Snap clip as I am not used to seeing the "OLC" stamping along with the RZM number. I have seen the OLC stamping on early to mid period examples.

The "X" marked clip on the carrying ring appears to be ok..but really does not do anything for the dagger or its worth..JMO. This also could of been added on at any time.

The above is my observations and Opinion. I would like to hear other comments..and any knowledge concerning the 1940 production date of this blade. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry the first thing that got into my mind when i saw the scabbard was that it had a repaint.
    Im pretty sure when the scabbard is held the right way in bright sunlight the sandpaper marking will be visible.
    So Danny its up to you to check that.
    The scabbard just misses the bright shine that comes with all NSKK factory lacquered scabbards, and it would certainly explain the differences between scabbard paint and the wear/loss of almost al paint of the hangers leather.
    I also believe that the hanger had a cheap paint bath, its clear to see its not produced like in the early years.

The combo of the olc and its M5/71 marking is quite common, seen lots of them.
    IMO Its a typical M5/71, its has the inside spring system
    here a few:
    Regards,
    Ger

NSKK dagger with vertical hangerNSKK dagger with vertical hanger

?

Larry my latest NSKk dagger has a great 3 piece hanger which has also a M5/71 olc clip.
    Leather has the desired 3 legged swastika marking of Ewald Lüneschloss, Solingen.
    Ger
    NSKK dagger with vertical hangerNSKK dagger with vertical hangerNSKK dagger with vertical hanger

?

Thanks for your replies guys. Really valuable information

Larry, I'm holding the dagger in my hands right now and even though it's very uncommon to see a transitional mark in combination with the year 1940, I am absolutely certain this blade is original. If this was a fake, we are all in big trouble. But fortunately I don't think this is the case and we can all sleep well I've made some extra pictures that show some good old crossgrain.
    Ger, the scabbard does not look like a repaint to me but I would like to show you this dagger in person since you are more experienced in this type than I am.

Up to this day I believe that no faker is able to create crossgrain that will fool an experienced collector. If anyone has seen crossgrain like that and has some pictures of it, please post them because this would be my worst nightmare, when it comes to collecting daggers.

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSKK dagger with vertical hanger   NSKK dagger with vertical hanger  

?

The blade is a nice Original.
    here the 1939 transitional marking, it fit yours
    There is as far as i know no RZM 7/18 of 1940 know.
    You got a rare one there Danny
    Attached Images Attached Images NSKK dagger with vertical hanger 
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-11-2013 at 11:33 PM.

My Compliments Danny..as I did say It was "cautiously rare"... and did not dismiss it......whereas the reasons why I am heard time and again that we have not see the whole story of the Third Reich period. Also other words I echo are that what we see in 2 dimension,,sometimes does not tell a great story......but your photos clarity are as clear as one would expect. You do have rare transitional dagger that just " shoots to hell" the theory that all transitionals production ended in 1938.
    Gerrit is a great Player on the team who always seems to pick up the ball that I drop sometimes...but that ball is taken to the goal of truth..and I would be rather be proven wrong than no one learning the truth of the dagger. I love the Unity here on this forum.
    Im still at odds though with the matching condition of the hanger and Scabbard paint..but will leave that one to Gerrit when he sees it. Thank you for the additional pics of the crossgrain which also proves true.
    Danny I have always known you to provide top grade stuff on the forum..but this dagger took a few of us by surprise and also some who did not comment but were reading it. All in all it worked out through discussion and a few added photos. Not everything can glitter like gold sometimes but a well meaningful discussion always seems to rub off the patina of doubt..which the truth lays beneath.
    Another great addition to our Forum..and thank you for your patience. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast