Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne

Article about: I have the oppurtunity to buy this dagger, please give me your opinions about this one It has a stunning blade almost full cross grain, the dagger itself is almost mint. The chain is iron pl

?

Default NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne

I have the oppurtunity to buy this dagger, please give me your opinions about this one
    It has a stunning blade almost full cross grain, the dagger itself is almost mint.
    The chain is iron plated chrome marked RZM M5/8 and the usual Munterschutz NSKK Korpsfuhrung
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne   NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne  

NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne   NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne  

NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne  
    Last edited by gerrit; 05-01-2017 at 04:01 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne
    P
    Many

Default Re: NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne

Looks very nice indeed the one dagger i keep intending to buy and always fail to find a nice one........not in your case here only thing i could pick is that the top clip may have been replaced (links not full)
    very nice cheers Ronnie

?

Thx Ronnie, if i buy it ill give you the first shot when im ready to sell it

Guys opinions about this one are highly appreciated, its a very expensive one so come on.........

Cheers,
    Ger

Hi Gerrit I am with Ronnie on this one as the top clip has some lifting issues and I feel it does not belong to it. Personally I am not comfortable with the chain as it also has lifting issues. Have you done a magnetic test on the chain? These chains were either made iron,steel base or nickel silver. The dagger and scabbard itself looks fine,, but anymore,, chained daggers have been an issue. IMO I am not comfortable with the chain,, hopefully others will have an imput on this. Larry

?

Thx Larry.

i see what you and Ronnie point out: the top clip has a different patina/look then the rest of the chain, the links are open so it might be replaced.
    Would you expect from an early E.P.&S. dagger with nickel/silver parts etc. like this one, another type of chain? this seems to be an iron chrome plated one.
    Cheers Ger

?

Today i drove to the owner to see the NSKK dagger for real and buy another early SA dagger, i posted under " i couldnt resist"
    i have no doubt anymore that there is something wrong with the chain/scabbard combination.
    The chain and scabbard are both magnetic and genuine.
    He not only owns the Dagger but also his P08 pistol, they havent changed ownership since the war ( he bought it right from the Vet).
    the P08 was in mint condition, just like the dagger, which has a flamed grip, very beautiful, have to see it in real....NSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & SohneNSKK Kettendolch by Ernst Pack & Sohne

Sometimes patience is needed in this hobby, when one is some what unsure as myself of the authenticity of an item. Patience and another view of an item says alot more ,, than just one visit. Sadly when an item goes up for sale...photos are all that the community has to give their "opinion" unless the item came from a reputable source,, which adds weight to its authenticity. Gerrit you are very fortunate to be able to see for yourself,, "inhand" what others see behind a 2 dimensional image. I have always said " An in hand inspection speaks volumes, more than a photographic guess" The more one applies oneself to this hobby the more proficient they become! Im glad to hear that you were able to see it with your own eyes and your reply back on this thread has helped the community greatly! Chains on NSKKs and SS daggers are IMO a science in itself! Good job! Regards Larry

?

Thx Larry,

im negotiation with the seller, will keep you informed about the progress.
    btw i found out that links that connects the top clip or are chained to the scabbard, are made of brass.
    That can be easily explained, brass would open up easily, before iron will break, so when you get stuck with your dagger only a brass link will openup and not break the link of the scabbard, thats cheaper and easier to fix, and will not ruin the scabbard or the topclip.
    I have researched lots of chains by now, seen numerous chains of NSKK daggers, and many of them show brass top/down links where the chrome was gone/worn.
    Even seen chains where all chainlinks are made of brass.

Cheers,
    Ger