Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

opinion asked on SA Dienstdolch

Article about: Hello, I am new in this forum and wonder if I could get an opinion from some of you on the origin of an SA dagger. I have been searching on the internet but I am not quite able to figure out

r_miller
    ?

Default opinion asked on SA Dienstdolch

Hello,
    I am new in this forum and wonder if I could get an opinion from some of you on the origin of an SA dagger.
    I have been searching on the internet but I am not quite able to figure out what kind of dagger it is and if it is genuine. It is an SA dagger, but the grip has been dyed black as an SS dagger (worn off a bit). Is this a specimen of a SA marine dagger? What production time would it be? What would be the value? I understand that the P in the lower crossguard means that the original SA group resided in Pommern. I added some pictures.

I would very much appreciate some more experienced opinions on this dagger. Thank you in advance.

2. # ADS

?

Default re: opinion asked on SA Dienstdolch

looks like the scabbard and handle was painted black to make it look different from the regular SA

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Your dagger is original and is an earlier maker marked dagger, being a pre RZM marked peice. I believe it will date from before 1936.

The black handle and scabbard may well indicate marine SA. These were often modified from basic brown SA daggers. As always with these peices, the problem is when was this done?

I would rate the value of that of a regular SA.

Cheers, Ade.

SS Ring Man
    ?

It look's like a P on the cross thats POMMERN I have a friend who collectes by Gau marks it's a hard one to get.Thanks for showing Darrell

r_miller
    ?

Hi

Many thanks for your welcome and your reactions. They brought me a lot further and strenghtened the confidence on the item. Thanks again.

greetings
    Rob

This dagger could swing both ways...when the decree came down for all NSKK men to buy or paint their scabbards black...some went a little further and painted the Grip also. I would lean more to this being an NSKK dagger as the brown grip shows through the black paint. Any thoughts on this? Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

The scabbard paint looks original to me, the wear is showing a hard paint with broken of bits of paint, def. an old paint, it also has spider forming.
    I believe the scabbard has its Original black paint.
    Like Larry says, painting the grip was done by quite a few nskk men.
    Seeing the honest wear on the grip i believe this is a period made paint.
    IMO a nice Original early NSKK with a nice ww2 painted grip.

Ger