MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions on Krom SA Dagger

Article about: A little shapened OK, but with a shape change Retipped also, on a otherwise common dagger but a rare maker?- Not one for my collection. I can't afford to have it next to anything as a piece

Default Opinions on Krom SA Dagger

Hello all,
    Been offered this early SA Dagger by Krom, The photos that are supplied aren't that great and the flash doesn't help but I think you can get the gist of the piece ;-)
    I can see the scabbard has a few dings and some oxidation and also the handle is chipped but do you guys have any other doubts or opinions on it? Thanks in advance for all input, Chris.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on Krom SA Dagger   Opinions on Krom SA Dagger  

Opinions on Krom SA Dagger   Opinions on Krom SA Dagger  

Opinions on Krom SA Dagger   Opinions on Krom SA Dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Opinions on Krom SA Dagger
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Opinions on Krom SA Dagger

looks original to me. it also looks to have been re pointed on the blade.
    andrew

?

Very Scarce Maker To Find but the blade looks Re-pointed with sharpened edges!!,

Also chip out of the grip & a few dents on the scabbard, if going cheap would be an ok buy imo.

Regards Mac 66.

Hi Scott, was hoping you would chip in sometime soon! Thanks for your replies, Chris.

I love the color of the grip.looks like mahogany.

Quote by operaman View Post
    I love the color of the grip.looks like mahogany.
    The chipping, and the work sharpening and re-pointing the blade has already been commented on. And the finish is red colored like mahogany, with some dealers becoming almost poetic in their sales descriptions of comparable reddish colored dagger grips as "mahogany". But I suspect that the wood itself comes from a lot further north. With the grain pattern looking to me more like European Beech which is seen naturally with a more neutral or yellowish color. Being used as “furniture” (ie: stocks and handguards) with some of the different kinds of Mauser rifles, some of the Lee-Enfields, bayonet grips, and some other items. FP

The SA Gruppe mark "Ho" is correct for this maker as no other gruppe mark has surfaced yet for this maker. I am a little concerned with what looks like a square hole around the swaz wreath. It is normal somtimes to see missing wood around the side of the eagles foot,,as that is a weak point which also almost comes to a point against the side of the wreath. ( enlarge the last photo and you will see the square hole in which the wreath sits in. ) The grip looks ok ,,but the flash floods out all detail. I also agree with everyones assessment on the tip being repointed. A little beat up but a rare SA maker #10 in rarity on the McSaar list. The first 2 photos the dagger is in the scabbard backwards,,almost the same as fingers on a blackboard. Nice SA,,Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry, I can see what you mean about the square area around the wreath - It almost looks like someone has had a 'dig' at it with something?? If I lay may hands on it at the right price I will surely post some better photos, thanks for your opinions, Chris.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    The SA Gruppe mark "Ho" is correct for this maker as no other gruppe mark has surfaced yet for this maker. I am a little concerned with what looks like a square hole around the swaz wreath. It is normal somtimes to see missing wood around the side of the eagles foot,,as that is a weak point which also almost comes to a point against the side of the wreath. ( enlarge the last photo and you will see the square hole in which the wreath sits in. ) The grip looks ok ,,but the flash floods out all detail. I also agree with everyones assessment on the tip being repointed. A little beat up but a rare SA maker #10 in rarity on the McSaar list. The first 2 photos the dagger is in the scabbard backwards,,almost the same as fingers on a blackboard. Nice SA,,Regards Larry
    Definitely agree, regarding eagle.
    Although I have seen that detail before, I thought thet I overthinking. (My common flaws)

Regards
    Vedran

?

If the price is right it would be a nice asset, different grip colors next to each other is always a great view!
    I see no issues other then the ones mentioned above, and those issues will lower its price to the 400-->450 dollar range....imho
    and it has to be said: It has a nice colored grip!

Cheers Ger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast