Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Place here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA Grip

Article about: Tiger striped grips can be found on both SA and NSKK daggers. Normal way to make them was by burning the wood of the grip with a flame, after that the grip would be finished, sometimes with

?

Default Post your Tiger striped NSKK or SA Grip Dagger

Tiger striped grips can be found on both SA and NSKK daggers.
    Normal way to make them was by burning the wood of the grip with a flame, after that the grip would be finished, sometimes with a transparant lacquer.
    Sometimes a beauty comes along with grinding that highlites the Woods grain, like this Eickhorn has.
    I also place a picture of the tiger striped grip of my former NSKK chained E.P&S. dagger

Tigerstriped grips are being fakes by sanding the grip with sandpaper, that will look like stripes.
    The stripes should be black by fire, not lighter by sanding.

I hope that the owners of Tiger striped Sa/NSKK dagger will add their grip, so that this post can grow into a large database of Tiger striped grips, please add the maker with your grip.

daggers shown:
    standard Tiger striped SA Spitzer
    standard Tiger striped NSKK E.P.& S.
    Grain highlited Tiger striped SA Eickhorn

Ger
    Place here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA Grip
    Last edited by gerrit; 09-24-2014 at 07:49 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Place here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA Grip
    P
    Many

Default Re: Place here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA Grip

They look very nice!

It takes a steady hand to do this and not a drunken one as most likely alot of grips were burned during that period..which Im sure ...LOL had to be explained to the SA manns immediate superiors. This should turn out to be a great thread. Looking forward to some of these beauties
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Yes they are very nice!

?

New addition, a Malsch & Ambronn
    enjoy,
    Ger
    Place here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA Grip

Another nice find Gerrit..and this thread is beginning to grow! Nice to see a few pimples in the motto....and the crossguard to scabbard fitting fit is tight..including the grip to the crossguards itself.Judging by the photos only...... the grip looks like someone well preserved it as it does not look like it was period laquered. In any case a great early example including the early type long nosed snap clip Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I am not a dagger guy but these examples with the tiger striping in the wood are beautiful!

?

One learns somehting new every day. Ive seen them, but it never occurred to me, how they were made.

Interesting as alway, 'gerrit.' Thanks.

The tiger stripe effect can also be achieved in the manner the wood is sawn from the log. The method is called quarter sawn and was quite popular at the begining of the 20th century for millwork in residential and commercial buildings. It is not seen much today as this method also wastes a lot of wood. It is possible that this method was used to make these grips and then the detailing was brought out in the finishing process. I would not doubt that this form of grip was an additional extra price when a man ordered his dagger.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Default my "tiger"

here's mine...waiting for better pics my E.Pack& Sohne withs sctratched letters and numbers on grip...may be serial number of the veteran who picked it(seems M7667)??
    luca

Place here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA GripPlace here your Tiger striped NSKK or SA Grip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast