Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

question on early SA dagger by E. Pack

Article about: Hello all, I personally got this out of the woodwork and everything else in the lot I purchased was absolutely textbook. The edge of the handle along the cross guards is pretty tight but the

Default question on early SA dagger by E. Pack

Hello all,

I personally got this out of the woodwork and everything else in the lot I purchased was absolutely textbook. The edge of the handle along the cross guards is pretty tight but there is a gap on the side. My question is, is this a replaced handle or the shrinking of wood that I'm looking at? I ask because the woman who's father brought this back remembers the dagger since 1947 and swore that nothing was altered on it. Even the verdigris on the enameled SA emblem matches what is on the nickel fitting above. What's everyone think?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture question on early SA dagger by E. Pack   question on early SA dagger by E. Pack  

question on early SA dagger by E. Pack   question on early SA dagger by E. Pack  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement question on early SA dagger by E. Pack
    P
    Many

I mean, wouldn't this qualify as the shrinking of the grip? It's always a smaller handle that fits into the cross-guards, I don't think I've ever seen a handle that doesn't fit into the guards because it's too wide. Let me ask you this, do the characteristics of the grip conform with Pack handles?

William Kramer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture question on early SA dagger by E. Pack  

Not completely unusual - wood will shrink. Interesting
    though, that either the grip is misaligned or one side
    of the 'flare' is thicker than the other the #2 pic.

Nice you have the chip of wood from the grip.
    Carpenters glue will work well.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Typical Pack grip including a long dark blemish in the wood..typically seen in these fruit wood types. The spacing is normal also ..mostly due to geographic conditions. I have seen them tightly fit and also some spacing

My Guess..that someone may have had it opened at one time..that the grip twisted in its seat a little. The SA Gruppe mark "Nrh" Neiderhein is correct for this producer.
    The Logo is the " No face " Type...one of many nuances from this producer..some logos appear to have them smiling.

Very Common dagger and producer. Collectible condition . Both guards belong with each other..exhibiting the upper with more of a deep cut to the accent grooving and a little less on the lower. These types will be internally marked with an "S" within a Horseshoe stamping.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Love the patina on this one William
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...