Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RZM7/66 1940 thoughts

Article about: I was curious if I could gather your guys thoughts on this dagger? Thanks in advance Eric

20jester04
    ?

Default RZM7/66 1940 thoughts

RZM7/66 1940 thoughtsRZM7/66 1940 thoughtsRZM7/66 1940 thoughts
    I was curious if I could gather your guys thoughts on this dagger? Thanks in advance Eric

2. # ADS

Hi Eric..the dagger appears to be ok..but the blade is in Bad condition. More photos would be a plus to see if the dagger is really worth the asking price. Carl Eickhorn is the producer who used the RZM code M7/66. This is a late period production dagger. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I can also agree with larry, looks like a good one, like he said the blade is in really bad shape but if the price is right i would snatch it up for eickhorn itself.
    Ryan

?

Quote by Ryan B View Post
    I can also agree with larry, looks like a good one, like he said the blade is in really bad shape but if the price is right i would snatch it up for eickhorn itself.
    Ryan
    Well Ryan,

please explain me your thoughts about this: why would you snatch it up?
    Eickhorn is the most encoutered maker of SA daggers, so i see no point in bying a not so good one, its the most common maker, you will meet lots of them.
    If you would say that about a McSarr or R.Siegert rarety listed as a 10, i would agree more, althou i have a strong feel to prefer quality over rarity, but he thats just me
    Its a different thing when you only miss 2 or 3 rare makers in your SA collection, then this quality as shown above, will do.

The RZM daggers of this period are well known about their high ridge and tons of cross grain, so if you need to buy a late war RZM, go for the mint blades, otherwise its money down the drain.

Cheers,
    Ger

?

Ok first of all i am just stating my opinion on this dagger. In my opinion I believe that Eickhorn made some of the nicest sa daggers. They are like the boker of SS daggers, also I am just getting a foothold in this part of the hobby so please cut me some slack. I'm guessing Jester is new to this part of the hobby and this would be a great starter dagger!
    Ryan

Quote by Ryan B View Post
    Ok first of all i am just stating my opinion on this dagger. In my opinion I believe that Eickhorn made some of the nicest sa daggers. They are like the boker of SS daggers, also I am just getting a foothold in this part of the hobby so please cut me some slack. I'm guessing Jester is new to this part of the hobby and this would be a great starter dagger!
    Ryan
    If Eickhorn produced the nicest SA dagger, wouldn't that make the SS dagger produced by them equally nice considering the similarities? Therefore, also making there no need to compare them to the Böker, as they themselves are in the same category. I would also suggest to not just look at the marker, yet the marker and the period in which the dagger was produced. These are both deciding factors in the quality which the dagger will exhibit.
    And as for opinions, opinions are what causes other members to make a inaccurate decision, such as Larry has suggested in prior threads. Shouldn't we hold ourselves to a higher standard considering we say we are the Eickhorn/Böker of the militaria forums? To often members just throw in their opinion, which is usually incorrect, and with no factual evidence. This is not good for anyone, especially for the thread starter and the member who does this. We will never learn if we continue to do this, either, and the only benefit we'll receive from it is a high post level and a false sense of being an advance collector.

* This is in NO way directed at any particular member.

?

First of all is the question: what do we seek in an item?
    second is mostly: can we afford it? shall we save a bit more or go for less?

All these thoughts come in mind at a certain time when you collect.

I have a few rules that normally have to temper the need of buying an item:
    Is it realy that good after taken a second and even a third look?
    Does it realy add something to my collection or do i just want it?
    I have learned the hard way, like most of our fellow collectors do at one time, that bad quality will be hard to sell.
    Darn....now your stuck with a not so good quality blade and the seller of that great dagger will not take yours in that offer!!
    So it saving money all over agian.

That why i Always say: i prefer quality over rarety.

And about Eickhorn SA's, that firm for sure didnt make the best looking standard SA daggers ( not talking about the early benchmarked and honour daggers made by Eickhorn).
    I have posted here lots of great SA's of rare makers as Torley, A.Werth, Wirth and Leuco just to name a few that were better looking daggers then the standard Eick's, and why?
    the grips of the eicks are clumsy comparing to the slim grips of the above named makers.
    and i like them slim, just as i do my woman

BUT thats MY opinion!!!!

So given advise to someone, you have to keep in mind: is he better of with my advise or is he not?
    Opinions are fine as long as there is no money involve, it will not harm someone in the end.
    So i think that Youthcollector1 has a point there.

and Ryan, i will cut you some slack np experience can only be gained by time...
    but thats the way i think about it.

Regards,
    Ger

"I have posted here lots of great SA's of rare makers as Torley, A.Werth, Wirth and Leuco just to name a few that were better looking daggers then the staandard Eick's....." - Gerrit

Agreed. I, too, don't feel as if Eickhorn produced the highest quality dagger. I was only making a point about the comparison between the two. Just for clarification purposes.

I will agree, though, it still is a piece of history, and could make a great starter dagger. Just remember your not going to make any profit on it and could possible lose money in the end. But that shouldn't matter as we all should collect for the love of history, not financial gain.

@ Ryan, I can respect your just beginning at this, but if you have yet to retain factual knowledge, maybe you should keep some of your opinions to yourself. If one is to comment on a item, especially it's authenticity, and they are wrong, it may cause an individual to make a bad decision and purchase a fake/copy. I, personally, try to only comment on threads where I can back my opinion with facts. Also, believing and basing a opinion that a item is good only because a advance member says so is a bad habit to have due impart to anyone can be wrong, too. I call this the bandwagon effect, and it too accrues much to often. Just a suggestion, hope you don't perceive it as me being rude.

In fairness, I too, once did this, but realized through others telling me that it benefited no one it wasn't helpful. If was for a different situation, but many situations can apply to collecting as well. I can only hope that by me pointing this out it will help others, as others did for me. This hobby is all about sharing ones knowledged as well as experiences.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 08-20-2013 at 09:24 PM.

This is what drives this forum is facts..and not flying foul balls in deep left field..that hit nothing. I like it!! Pie fights are out of the question..but yet all opinions must be measured by the seasoned and also by the novice. From Eickhorn and EP&S...to.... Richard Drees and Otto Linder..all can either be mint or just plain garbage..which I would not collect a rated 10 just for the sake of rarity...but again..as expressed "condition" is what is collectible.....If I had seen no other Rated 10...and it was half decent..or a little less..then I would pick it up..but only as a temporary filler until a better one can come along. This is how decent collections begin. Thats the worst case scenario with Rated 9s and 10s. Every collector is different..and should not be faulted for it..but that collector is responsible for his own actions also if not enough research is put to use. I can not express any deeper how important it is ..in this day and age..to study hard..your wallet and your integrity depend upon it.
    As expressed that Eickhorns are a dime a dozen...as these were widely produced and can be found almost anywhere on the collecting circuit. I would repeat as said above by Gerrit..that ..is it affordable..and what is the condition...is it period?
    Some bumps and bruises along the way only strengthens ones resolve..dont take it personal Ryan..its not an attack..its tough Love. All opinions are welcome as long as they refer to the item or topic in question..and patience...which walks along side of integrity also to be used as a tool of teaching. Trollers and One timers..dont care to study but only want a hand out....these I have no time for.....but for the serious and devout...the knowledgeable should reach out.
    Ryan is just beginning and alot of us are quite proud of him not because he acquired a chained SS at such a low price!...but it is his will to stay here and learn about history. Most teens his age...like myself..are out just looking for boobs and beer..well with me the beer.....yea anyway....Teens these days are far and few and rather not have anything to do with history at all. Great supportive information Gents..is what should be expected...better yet...its never a "free for all riot"...which makes this forum and website stand out from the others. Good thread Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill