Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SA Birdshead Dagger

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson I would not touch this with a bargepole. For me and most other serious dagger collectors, it is a fantasy item. Regardless of how he says he got it..... Cheers, Ade, He a

Default Re: SA Birdshead Dagger

I believe there are drawings, and the possibility that only
    one or perhaps two were actually produced ?
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Birdshead Dagger
    P
    Many

?

Its a rare bird

Looks like the bird design came off the Chrysler building in New York

First, my thanks to Bob Coleman for sharing his insight. On the positive side, the thread (actually two connected threads) brought together collectors from literally all over the world to look at a fraud created roughly 50 years ago. It also gave collectors a look at the purported “factory” documentation - that sight unseen until then had been argued for years to be the proof of the dagger’s existence. But if that by itself was not the “final nail in the coffin” of this particular hoax. The “SS High Leader Prototype Dagger - Anyone ...........” thread revealed another fake courtesy of the late James P. Atwood. And while it’s bad enough that these fakes are in a number of books that are used by collectors. It might be even more disturbing to see the Atwood photos and information being used by a legitimate online German resource/website which was brought forward in that discussion.

PS: My thanks also to 85ronnies for his black gripped example to add to my data base.

Best Regards to All, Fred

With respect to Fred mentioning these daggers are in a number of reference books, I just yesterday came across pics & a mention of this exact dagger type in a later volume of Tom Johnson's "Collecting The Edged Weapons of the 3R" series, either VII or VIII. It even says how many think they are fake but they're "legit", according to TJ way back then.

There is no period documentation establishing the existance of this dagger. Supposedly made only by Eichorn, where are the records documenting this piece? Although it is represented as an important presentation piece,there is no period photographic or written evidence of the existance of such a dagger. Those who wish to believe are welcome to do so. My intimate knowledge of Awood's relation wih these daggers fifty years ago and lack of period evidence make all of these fantassy pieces to me.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by Billy G View Post
    With respect to Fred mentioning these daggers are in a number of reference books, I just yesterday came across pics & a mention of this exact dagger type in a later volume of Tom Johnson's "Collecting The Edged Weapons of the 3R" series, either VII or VIII. It even says how many think they are fake but they're "legit", according to TJ way back then.
    TJ was wrong.

I think this dagger was also shown in Frederick J. Stephens book
    Edged Weapons of the Third Reich 1933 - 1945 ( 1972 )
    as well as another small publication from the 70's.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I'm with Bob on this one. I heard the exact same story from a different source years and years ago. Unfortunately, it's just that age that makes it Look possible, but these things never did exist, in my opinion as well.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Bob Coleman hit the nail right on the head.I purchased the "ATWOOD" book when it came out.Yes members there are some of us who go back that far!He (ATWOOD) always had some story ala Roger Steele to go with his spurious daggers.It seems that these book writers were well versed in promoting their WONDER DAGGERS in their books and it was fraud here in the US as anywhere else.This clown Craig Gottlieb is a guy who plays the roll and comes into a show with several girls draped over his arms.He is an arrogant little wis and he once said he was in Special Forces WHICH WAS DISPROVED by a Special Forces soldier and anyone who uses these fine great soldiers to say he's one is a scumbag!!Several dealers i know from the shows hate his guts and will not put up with his B.S. He will also sell you JOACHIM von RIBBENTROP'S war time waffen SS service tunic for 250k.This tunic first was sold (correct me if wrong)in1994 in a catalog of the DAVID E. MATHES COLLECTION by MGM AUCTIONS. He should take this fantasy dagger off his site as was mentioned above,but this cretin is a big man in his own eyes and he is interested in screwing some well heeled fish with this thing!Sorry for the long speech but us ole guys get pissed off when we see this piece of cess trying to show what an a-----e he really is.cARL
    Last edited by goodbuys; 02-22-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast