Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SA Birdshead Dagger

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson I would not touch this with a bargepole. For me and most other serious dagger collectors, it is a fantasy item. Regardless of how he says he got it..... Cheers, Ade, He a

Default Re: SA Birdshead Dagger

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I would not touch this with a bargepole.

For me and most other serious dagger collectors, it is a fantasy item. Regardless of how he says he got it.....

Cheers, Ade,
    He also has many pieces that have just come out of the woodwork!!Or some farmer out in sticksville Iowa bought this to a show and low and behold Gottlieb got it!He loves himself and thats about all who would with this cretin!!! Carl

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Birdshead Dagger
    P
    Many

Quote by SteveR View Post
    TJ was wrong.
    If you read my post, I never said I thought TJ was right. I was actually pointing out that as recently as 1996 (publish date of Collecting The Edged Weapons of the 3R), Tom Johnson was still touting this model dagger as period despite the naysayers.

Quote by Billy G View Post
    If you read my post, I never said I thought TJ was right. I was actually pointing out that as recently as 1996 (publish date of Collecting The Edged Weapons of the 3R), Tom Johnson was still touting this model dagger as period despite the naysayers.
    Roger on that Billy . As for Tom Johnson’s involvement with the SA Birdshead Daggers, to me it’s a little bit like watching a guy on the street playing 'Three Card Monte' or the 'Shell Game'. With his “naysayers” comment in "Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich - Volume IV" - along with the photo from Atwood’s book (of the “Vetter” / Atwood dagger) where he claimed that the (Atwood) photo had never before been published. With interestingly enough, TJ also doing a full color set of photos of the “Vetter” dagger in his “World War II German War Booty - Volume V”.

But in "Collecting the Edged weapons of the Third Reich - Volume I” we see an ordinary steel bladed SA “Birdshead” dagger that looks to be identical to the one he sold the late “Chip” Gambino with wood case and all (which when sold had an Eickhorn tag added to it). BTW: Did I fail to mention that another SA Birdshead dagger made from the exact same set of molds as TJ’s example (but with a different named blade) surfaced during the other discussion?? All of which IMO no doubt provided the inspiration for this recent silver version - because money is what drives the fakes and the marketing of fakes. Best Regards, Fred

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3