Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger - Asso, Solingen

Article about: Hello all, I have received my SA Dagger today. It is SA Gruppe marked S - Schlesien, Blade marked Asso. Looks like a good fit for the handle to the crossguard and pommel. Someone has sharpen

Default SA Dagger - Asso, Solingen

Hello all,

I have received my SA Dagger today. It is SA Gruppe marked S - Schlesien, Blade marked Asso. Looks like a good fit for the handle to the crossguard and pommel. Someone has sharpened it, and it has been disassembled by someone without proper tools. The scabbard appears to have been postware repainted black, the few scratches in the paint show shiny metal beneath. The screws holding the parts together have also been removed with somewhat less than loving care. Having said all that, the blade, although somewhat pitted, looks much better in real life than the pictures show. I took it apart and treated the rusty tang with some WD40. No marks on the tang that I can see, but it was pretty rusty. It felt like it had not been disassembled for quite a while.

SA Dagger - Asso, SolingenSA Dagger - Asso, SolingenSA Dagger - Asso, SolingenSA Dagger - Asso, SolingenSA Dagger - Asso, SolingenSA Dagger - Asso, Solingen

I will, of course, welcome any and all comments and opinions. Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger - Asso, Solingen   SA Dagger - Asso, Solingen  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger - Asso, Solingen
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA Dagger - Asso, Solingen

Well, I gotta admit, if I had seen this dagger in person I'd have given it a miss. I don't know if there is any hope for the blade, it's pretty pitted up. I'll have to count this as a learning experience and move on to a nicer piece. At least I'm not out a lot on it and I can learn how they go together without worrying about destroying something that's in pretty sad shape to start.
    This blade is a great example of why you shouldn't handle metal with bare fingers and not wipe it down really good. Somebody's fingerprint is etched into the blade and I know that didn't happen overnight. Some of the pitting is pretty deep, and certainly will NOT buff out.
    Anybody know if the blades can be restored on these and retain the maker mark and the motto?
    How would you handle this? Try to stabilize it to prevent further deterioration and then just leave it?
    Clean it up and make it as pretty as possible given the pitted blade? I'm open to all ideas and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Roger its not all that bad ive seen worse their is no fix put some oil on it and leave it be.Still not a bad looking dagger... ERIC

Hi Roger, you could improve the blade a little using some "Semi-chrome" metal polish.

Add some polish to a lint free white cotton cloth and work left to right across the blade (not up and down the lenght) Do this a couple of times overall, working slowly. Then seal the blade with a museum grade wax, such as "Rennaisance Wax". Don't use oil on blades, as it can cause greying. You can use this wax over all the dagger.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade,as per your recommendation a few months back I purchased some Ren Wax and applied to my dagger collection.I wiped the wax off after it dried,sounds like you are telling me one should leave the wax on.I have purchased some nice Acrylic dagger stands and a glass and wooden upright display case that I would like to display daggers in,is it ok to keep the daggers out of the scabbard? I would appreciate any recommendations.Regards Mike C (operaman)

Hi Mike, apply a small amount of the wax to a cloth. Wipe over the item, then buff it off, like you would polish a car. That is all you need to do.

Keeping the blades out of the scabbards is fine.

Cheers, Ade.