Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm

Article about: Hello Members, This is my second edged weapon, and I bought it from a dealer. (I have a HJ early Eickhorn knife, and I want my edged weapons to be Eickhorns to start with.) I am wondering if

?

Thumbs up SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm

Hello Members,

This is my second edged weapon, and I bought it from a dealer.
    (I have a HJ early Eickhorn knife, and I want my edged weapons to be Eickhorns to start with.)

I am wondering if I made the right choice. On the first sight, it seems original.
    If I think about it, this might be a parts dagger (

I know a few things about it so far.

Let's start with the dagger itself.
    - Carl Eickhorn ground rohm.
    - Small makers' mark near the crossguard, with serrated tail "Eickhorn"
    - The crossguards are non magnetic.
    - Crossguard stamped "No" .
    - Another kind of mark on the crossguard, near the blade (see picture).
    - Non magnetic eagle.

The Scabbard:
    - The hanger is non magnetic, just one part of the clamp is magnetic (part of the hinge in the clamp), not the clamp itself.
    - The scabbard seems annodised, in good "reddish brown" condition. With my camera, the reddish color is really visible. With daylight, just brown.
    - The fittings are magnetic.
    - The ball at the bottom is not magnetic.

Notice! I used a fairly strong magnet, could it occur that the magnet attracked the scabbard through the fittings?
    Could that be the explanation why the ball on the bottom fitting is not magnetic?

Thank you in advance,
    Hravn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm   SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm  

SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm   SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm  

SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm   SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm  

Last edited by Hravn; 11-16-2018 at 11:12 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm
    P
    Many

?

Some more pics.

Got a request of a certain picture, let me know.

Thanks people.

Hravn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm   SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm  

SA Dagger by Carl Eikhorn, Factory Ground Rohm  

Hello Hravn..welcome to the forum.
    Flash is the worst enemy for photographing any edged weapon due to the reflection that comes off any area that is shiney.
    Best Results are indirect lighting or outside on an over cast day.

Fortunately there is enough detail to identify that this Eickhorn example is what is typically seen as an early dagger.
    Nice to see a QC number beneath the lower guard..not necessary but an extra perk with this producer.

The scabbard fittings will be a steel base on early SA daggers with nickel on the surface.
    There will be a slight magnetic pull through the nickel.

You will not feel a magnetic pull through the ball due to that there is no steel beneath and the ball is hollow. Place the magnet a bit higher on the over fitting and you will feel a slight pull. I see no issues with this dagger and appears all and correct.

Practice your photography as I had stated above..you will be pleased by the results.
    Give a read through some of the threads in this forum also. You will leave with more than you came in with.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Larry C,

Thanks for the reply!

Really great to learn that the dagger is authentic.

LST has a video on youtube, and in that video the man demonstrates the non-magnetic fittings of an early scabbard, using a magnet.

I thought, hey, lets try this method! I have some magnets due to work related stuff, grabbed one,
    and I had to watch out because the magnet is pretty strong. When I tried it on the scabbard, my heart skipped a beat. "clung!"
    Could it be a dagger / scabbard mismatch? I learned about this phenomenon on this forum.

In the future, I will make some better pictures using a proper camera.
    And I will make em when the sun's up.

For now, I want to make a nice display case.
    A question about display fabric, if you do not mind;

Are there certain types of fabrics or materials that are a no go regarding edged weapon storage?
    I want to make a box with a foam type cut out inlay, and a lid.

Thanks again

?

By the way, some initials are "carved" on the scabbard I believe. See the last picture in the first post!