Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sa dagger grip with scratch

Article about: Hi all..i have this Sa dagger with tiger grip made by E.pack. On the back it has been scratched a code (seems M7667)...do you think was made by the soldier who took it?? What's your opinion?

Default Sa dagger grip with scratch

Hi all..i have this Sa dagger with tiger grip made by E.pack.
    On the back it has been scratched a code (seems M7667)...do you think was made by the soldier who took it??
    What's your opinion??
    Many thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sa dagger grip with scratch   Sa dagger grip with scratch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa dagger grip with scratch
    P
    Many

Hi Luca..I like the dagger ..and of course I would like to see the rest of it to at some point. ;p

Lovely Tiger stripes..and the number could be anything. We dont usually see regimental markings starting with letters on SA daggers. Looks period done. Lovely dagger show us more please. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Nice piece of wood Maple?

Hi Luca, looks a nice grip, great colours and fit.

As with the markings you will never know for sure! Its very very old, so its anybodys guess.

If you could work out what the markings mean you could probably work it back from there.

best matty

?

Hi Luca. I've seen quite a lot of daggers with odd, unexplainable hand engraved markings on the grips, scabbards, guards and even the blades. It is my experience and opinion that most of these types of crude markings were done by the veterans for two reasons... 1) I seriously doubt that the German owner would deface his dagger in such a manner, and 2) In many of the examples I've come across the veteran or veteran's relative that I purchase the dagger from tells me so (that they or their father/grandfather applied it). Keep in mind too that these daggers were sometimes played with by the veteran's children and may have been a whittling project (eek!). Of course this is pure speculation but what to provide a little more perspective based on my experience.

?

I might be the one that has a quite different view on the grip.
    Imo this is a sanded Tiger, made not that long ago.
    An Original Tiger striped grip has dark Stripes ( Flame) looking at this one a bit closes you can see that the Original dark appearance has been changed.
    Look below the button and beside it, clear to see the grip has been dark.
    The tiger pattern is made by sanding and removing the dark parts, you can also see the changed pattern of the wood at the lower crossguard and especially on the back.
    Not a grip I would fell for, but that just my opinion.

Regards
    Ger

?

Hmmm... Gerrit has some good points (good eye Garrit). However, I personally think it is too hard to say one way or the other without more photos. Luca, do us a favor and take the dagger outside into the daylight (even if it is overcast) and shoot photos of both sides of the entire length of the dagger and scabbard so we can see the rest of it (as Larry suggested), as well as good clear (focused) photos showing both sides of the entire handle area, from where the blade enters the lower guard to the top of the nut. Also, shoot a couple photos showing the sides of the grip. I want to see the cut of the grip and how it flows into the guards.

You can't make this pattern in wood by "sanding", its some kind of figured wood, looks like maple perhaps?

"An Original Tiger striped grip has dark Stripes"

There are "dark stripes". The wood has two colors, lighter, darker (hence the visual stripe appearance), which one is the "stripes" is up to your imagination.

?

Larboard i do not agree with you
    When you handled enough real tigers you know the difference
    The grain in the wood is different then the original tiger grained grips
    I know i had more then one even one with the 3D like grain
    Search for the post
    Post here you Tiger striped SA dagger
    You will notice the difference
    Regards
    Ger

thanks guys...i'll provide more pics in the right light and in the places you've said...for the moment i have this one
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sa dagger grip with scratch  

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast