Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

SA Dagger by J.P. Sauer & Sohn

Article about: I have never seen such a black SA dagger! J.P. Sauer and his sons made fine weapons. I own a 1942 K98 that they made. It's by far the best K98 I have ever handled.

Default Re: SA Dagger by J.P. Sauer & Sohn

In my opinion the grip is naturally black like the Herder previously mentioned. I have had the opportunity to have a few very dark and a few very light blonde SA daggers. If you take the grip apart and look down the inside of the grip, you will know immediately if it was oiled, painted, enhanced or just the same color on the inner channel of the grip. I like this dagger very much!

Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger by J.P. Sauer & Sohn
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA Dagger by J.P. Sauer & Sohn

Quote by kingtiger View Post
    In my opinion the grip is naturally black like the Herder previously mentioned. I have had the opportunity to have a few very dark and a few very light blonde SA daggers. If you take the grip apart and look down the inside of the grip, you will know immediately if it was oiled, painted, enhanced or just the same color on the inner channel of the grip. I like this dagger very much!

Mark
    Thank you Mark!
    I have not taken it apart, and I don't think I am going to. I like it as well, that's why I bought it.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

By coincidence I found this thread, and I can't help asking about the lower crossguard.
    Should the lower crossguard really look like this on a Suhl-dagger?

Internal casting markings could confirm that....... but yes Suhl daggers are known to have a lower step.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Chris76 View Post
    By coincidence I found this thread, and I can't help asking about the lower crossguard.
    Should the lower crossguard really look like this on a Suhl-dagger?
    I am not sure what you are refering to when you ask this question. What is it about the lower crossguard that confuses you?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Ralph he is referring to the amount of wood that sets in deep into the crossguard area compared to these 2 examples ...one being a Sauer..and the other a Kober. On the 2 posted examples you can see how the wood just sits slightly inside or almost on top of the guard with little space.

That was why I posted to see what internal casting marks could be found..but I will look into this tonight when I get home. Regards Larry
    Attached Images Attached Images SA Dagger by J.P. Sauer & Sohn  SA Dagger by J.P. Sauer & Sohn 
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry!
    I would prefer not to take mine apart, unless it turns out that it should not look like this and has been apart before. As far as I know, it is original.
    Ralph.

No problem Ralph..no need to..I will look into it without the disassembly. Regards Larry

Quote by Larry C View Post
    No problem Ralph..no need to..I will look into it without the disassembly. Regards Larry

All the Suhl daggers I have seen tend to have the low step crossguard.
    It would be interesting to read your conclusion Larry.

My Conclusion Chris is that Suhl made daggers were produced from what has been found to have used the Low step Guard. Ralphs dagger could of been one of those rare anomalies that used a common guard. Hard to say..without seeing any casting marks. I could not locate any Sauer daggers that used certain types of guards. I had found a few casters that supplied guards marked GH to Wilhelm Kober..and no casting marked guards to Haenel.
    Sauer does not appear on any of my casting or tang references. I have an upcoming rare SA producer Ernst Witte..and with markings I have never seen before..but yet period.
    A question... what happened to this dagger during the period or just after the war..is hard to say. My Early SA Ferdinand Neuhaus has the use of Haco "K" marked upper guard which seems to point to a Thuringia producer. "K" guards were not just reserved for one maker as I have also seen some low step guards by non Suhl makers..but not Suhl low. One in a million? maybe...but what is commonly seen are low step guards for these 3 particular makers. After that..there is no more to research. Study and draw your own conclusions...you may find an error..and discover something never seen before.

As many have seen on the WRF forum..it seems there are still hidden facts..laying quietly away somewhere..until someone finds it. A great example moslty found in the SS Uniforms forum.....of never seen before attire and accoutrements....which makes this hobby multi faceted. Regards Larry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3