Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...

Article about: Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on the SA Dagger. The RZM mark has me curious, as does the difference in tone between the nickel plating on the scabbard and the dagger. Thoughts? Dzyne

?

Default SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...

Hi all,

I'm looking for some opinions on the SA Dagger. The RZM mark has me curious, as does the difference in tone between the nickel plating on the scabbard and the dagger.

Thoughts?
    Dzyner

SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...
    P
    Many

Default Re: SA Dagger - Need Opinions Please...

Hi Darren, the RZM mark is fine. This particular maker used this style with the circle extending under the "M". No worries there.

The crossguards would be the zinc plated type by this date. Better pics would help.

I would like to see the dagger in the scabbard the right way around. My pet hate I know, but it also helps determine if the fit is correct.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Thanks Ade! Do you know which maker this is off hand? I used to have a link to maker marks but I seem to have misplaced it.

Just so I understand correctly, the tonal difference between the metal on the scabbard and metal on the dagger don't concern you? This was normal for this maker?

I think looking at my info that the maker mark is for Herbertz & Meurer of Grafarth-Solingen, but I'm not entirely convinced as I'm a bit of a novice on a learning curve here, and the mark seems to be quite rare, and in some cases I've seen, contentious. Back to Ade on this one I think!

Regards, Ned,
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi Darren & Ned, we have a pinned makers list at the top pf the forum. Ned you are correct.

Here is an excellent site, in German, but very easy to use, plus you can always run it through Google translate. It shows makers logos in detail:

Dienstdolch - Infos von Sammlern fr Sammler - RZM Logos

Early SA's have nickle crossguards & fittings throughout. So the tone of the metal will match. RZM daggers will have zinc plated crossguards which will look a bit different in tone, while some are aluminium. Scabbard fittings also became plated. Have a read here:

Lakesidetrader SA Dagger Purchasing Guide

In actual fact, there is another type used by M7/73 ( I will let you look up the name ) who used solid steel crossguards. I have one of these and was really surprised to find this. It was Paul (Lakesidetrader) who advised me about this.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hey, thanks for the information and help guys! And thanks for the links Ade. I completely forgot about the makers mark reference on the forum, DOH!