Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback

Article about: Hello all! Today I am showing one of the 2 SA Daggers that my grandfathers cousin passed down to me. Both have had their sheathes painted black after the fall of the favoritism of the SA to

Default SA Dagger #1. . . . Vet Bringback

Hello all! Today I am showing one of the 2 SA Daggers that my grandfathers cousin passed down to me. Both have had their sheathes painted black after the fall of the favoritism of the SA to the emerging SS. These were captured off of 2 German officers along with the 2 Luftshutz helmets (I will post on a different day). This dagger has the name "Leri/Leni??" carved into the wooden hilt. The SA button at the top of the daggers appear to be be more orange. These daggers have seen some wear and the blades show this. Also on the rear of this dagger appears that at some point there was an inscription on the blade but I do not know what this would have been. If anyone knows and would like to inform me, I would be very appreciative. Is this dagger rare? Hope you all are enjoying seeing what I have collected over the years. It is nice to be able to communicate with others that have a similar passion to my own. I'm looking forward to hearing from you all!
    Thaddeus
    SA Daggers. . . . Vet BringbackSA Daggers. . . . Vet BringbackSA Daggers. . . . Vet BringbackSA Daggers. . . . Vet BringbackSA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback   SA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback  

SA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback   SA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback  

SA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Daggers. . . . Vet Bringback
    P
    Many

Hello, welcome. I can't comment on the daggers, but you'd be best to photograph each on its own and make a separate thread for each dagger. Trying to authenticate two daggers on one thread will get confusing. Just my two sense. Seen it done in the helmet forum and it gets confusing keeping everyone on the same page. The dagger guys can help you with what needs to be photographed and how.

Thank you! I will do them separately!

?

Hello Thaddeus,

welcome here at the forum.

first of all these black scabbards indicate that these daggers are NSKK daggers, which is the motorized brigade.
    It has nothing to do with the SS.
    One blade seems to be a ground Rohm, parts of the dedication are still shown.
    One is a Herder Sa, known for its dark colors, sometimes the SA daggers of Herder SA are so dark the scabbard can be mistaken for a NSKK one.
    The other is a Wusthof.
    Both are common makers, and the quality is unfortunate not good.

Your story that the daggers and the Luftschutz helmts are from German Officers is not very likely.
    Mostly these daggers/helmets are bought as a souvenir.

Cheers,
    Ger

When the Motor SA was discontinued and it's members absorbed in to the NSKK, many SA men hand painted their scabbards black over the original brown finish. It is quite possible that the daggers were surrendered by a German officer. I have encountered several veteran purchases when a surrendering German military officer would hand over his SA dagger.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Thaddeus View Post
    Thank you! I will do them separately!
    Hello Thadeus..yes please post separately your daggers for a better review of them....as to distinguish the differences in maker characteristics. The Ed Wustoff dagger is a Rohm presentation dagger..with the inscription ground off. There are traces of lettering left on the blade. This is nice item to have in an SA collection. This dagger is typical of Ed Wustoff as the lower crossguard has a "medium step" fit to the grip. Wustoff dagger grips lower shoulder always seem to have a just a slightly higher shoulder which peaks just a little just above the crossguard..or also perfect........More photos please..list them separately

Quote by gerrit View Post
    One is a Herder Sa, known for its dark colors, sometimes the SA daggers of Herder SA are so dark the scabbard can be mistaken for a NSKK one.
    The other is a Wusthof.

Cheers,
    Ger
    Hey Ger....I am looking forward to Thadeus separate postings..but from the pics above I can not see how the other dagger may be a Herder..when the majority of SA Producers used dark colored woods and stains on their grips.....and a great example is Ernst Pack & Sohn..known for their fruit wood and blonde colored grips..has also produced some in a darker wood.
    Aesculap....F. Dick..( Richard Drees.... almost black in color ) as examples...have produced daggers with dark colored grips.
    Now Im curious myself
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill