Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SA Dienstdolch by J.P. Sauer

Article about: I am considering picking up this dagger from Bill Shea. I would like some second opinions on it. I typically stay away from blades especially something as popular as SA daggers but I have wa

Default SA Dienstdolch by J.P. Sauer

I am considering picking up this dagger from Bill Shea. I would like some second opinions on it. I typically stay away from blades especially something as popular as SA daggers but I have wanted one for some time and found this one which falls under the price point I want to be at.

(Yes, I know Bill is one of the best in the business and I have spent a lot of money on his website but every dealer has bad items from time to time)

Any help would be appreciated.
    SA Dienstdolch by J.P. SauerSA Dienstdolch by J.P. Sauer

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dienstdolch by J.P. Sauer
    P
    Many

?

hi i'm not a great expert but i am interested in these daggers. and I don't think the grip is right. the wood looks different than it should. but that's just my opinion, more knowledgeable members will certainly speak

@kekel funny you mention the wood grip because to my eyes it looks too light in color & that was the first thing I noticed when I found it on Bill's site. I didn't mention it because I assumed it was just a normal variation.

The grip is fine, typical for this maker, I believe it's walnut, the same wood they use for their shotgun stocks if my memory serves me correctly. I would look/wait for a nicer example for the money but that's just my opinion.

Like Maximus say the grip is fine. It is good J.P Sauer

This dagger is correct in every detail seen including the grip and the slightly higher lower grip shoulders that are seen to be a little higher than the guards. All 3 Suhl producers have a very low crossguard step.

Nice Dagger

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

yes you are right it's perfectly fine, i was also confused by the shade of the handle. then I compared it with pictures by R. Siegert, on a German website and the wood is really lighter color. I'm a little smarter again, good study.

What I just noticed which is not fine is the erroneous removal of the SA Gruppe mark on the lower guard.
    IMO that kind of takes away from the full history of the dagger in which that Gruppe mark has given light to the location where the SA mann once served.
    Although the dagger is correct in every detail as I stated...it would bother me much that a SA gruppe mark is not present.

Who knows when and why this has been removed ...but as a type collector especially a Suhl dagger ...I would want that little 2 letter detail which completes the SA manns serving location.

Regards Larry

SA Gruppes for this producer : JP Sauer & Sohn ..... Bo; Fr; Mi; Sa; Wf
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

@Larry I am glad you spotted that because I overlooked it. I am not a fan of anything that is 'collector done' or even altered by the original owner of the item. I have passed on a number of good items because of alterations made to the piece.

As you stated, it takes away from the full history of the dagger. Granted, this dagger is not selling for big bucks but regardless, if I am going to spend any money at all, I'd like the item to be unaltered in any way. I am starting to focus my collection on SA items so having the SA-Gruppe information would be much appreciated.

Thank you for saving me money on this dagger! I owe ya one!

Hi Captain ...you owe me nothing but I do ask in return for the forum if you also become a teacher so that the next guy who has the same questions you will be able to help him or her accordingly. .

Pinned at the top of this forum ,, if you have not seen it yet is this SA Gruppe mark to producers links for Early SA daggers
    SA Gruppe marks known to Dagger Producers and Manufacturers

Other than that this whole website is a wealth of information in your research for SA Gruppes.

Back to the SA dagger you posted ... I have seen Rohm daggers have strange grinds sometimes catching the lower guard edge ...but I have never seen an SA Gruppe mark scooped out or melted off like that,,,One can only wonder why or did someone need an SA Gruppe mark to fill in another SA Dagger lower guard ? LOL

Yet it is heinous to see this happen.
    Bill Shea is a reputable dealer and I have also purchased from him in the past with no issues...and has priced this dagger accordingly because of that detail.

Regards Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast