Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?

Article about: The quality of fit of the wood handle on this dagger makes me nervous, other than that besides being dinged up, tarnished and a very brittle leather hanger I think it is original. The blade

?

Default SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?

The quality of fit of the wood handle on this dagger makes me nervous, other than that besides being dinged up, tarnished and a very brittle leather hanger I think it is original. The blade has from what i have seen online the cross grain (i think its called) which i could not get very well in the photos. what do you think? Thanks again everyone you are a great help. Thank you very much Jason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?   SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?  

SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?   SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?  

SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?
    P
    Many

Default re: SA Dienstdolch: RZM M M7/13 original?

Looks like a original Arthur Schuttlehofer double circle RZM dagger to me, I am not sure what has happend to the Adler on it it looks like it has been messed with to me.
    I think the handle fit you see is just shrinkage.
    Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

I believe it is somewhat unusual to see a lightly toned grip ( which I'm inclined
    to think are seen only on earlier models ) on a late dagger. The crossguards
    are definitely a later type because the plating is lifting.

The eagle could be a replacement - there are marks that look like
    the original may have been dug out to de-nazify it - so it could
    well be pieced together and classified as 'restored'.

Not too shabby, if the price were right.........
    Regards,

Steve.

There is a Small possibility that the grip itself may have been replaced as it's condition does not appear to match the nicks and marks on the edges of the guard and hilt. If so, it must have been done some good while ago, as the base metal that is exposed on the guards is now effecting abit of darkening on the wood where they meet it-more so on the front of the cross guard especially. And, as noted, the eagle has, almost certainly been replaced. It's my opinion that this is a old rebuild effort that has mated good parts to a dagger that had bad ones to make it more presentable in appearance, but I seriously doubt if this is a virgin from the owner to the vet.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi Jayman I would not worry too much about the wood grip as the ravages of war in the later years put a strain on the dagger suppliers to which they resulted in using spare parts left over from the earlier years. This is perfectly normal to see. You are correct in saying crossgrain as theses RZM 7/13s will show it alot better than most late RZM examples. I am a little cautious of the grip eagle as the aluminum types were used in the mid to later years but this one looks very recent as it does not conform to the overall condition of the dagger. The leather on the hanger is original and the yellow thread on the belt loop is a replacement, ( possible period replacement ) no big deal. I do find it interesting thought to see the "OLC" RZM stamped combination on the back of the clasp, as I only see the OLC on early to mid clasp types,,,but it is very possible the RZM stamped their "sign of approval" on it,, as they were taking control of everything party related. Overall its a decent example of a Late SA,, a little salty, but nice. By the way try not to touch the blade with your fingers as the salts and oils in your hands will leave a smudge you will not be able to remove if left unchecked later in years. Best regards Larry

?

thanks again everyone!