Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

SA 'Frankendolch'

Article about: Forgive the thread title, but I couldn't think of a better one for this piece. So based on my limited understanding, this appears to be an SA Marine dagger (brass-coloured crossguards), with

Default SA 'Frankendolch'

Forgive the thread title, but I couldn't think of a better one for this piece.

So based on my limited understanding, this appears to be an SA Marine dagger (brass-coloured crossguards), with a ground-Rohm blade (based on the vertical 'F. Dick' maker mark). There are traces of gold leaf in the 'Alles fur Deutschland' blade inscription. Unfortunately, the handle is severely split and repaired, and someone has epoxied the eagle from what looks like an Infantry Assault badge into it!

Based on the ill-fitting lower guard (final pic) I assume this is put together from parts of different daggers. Pity, because the blade is fairly rare considering the maker and gold-leaf inscription, no?

Anyway, take a look:

SA 'Frankendolch'SA 'Frankendolch'
    SA 'Frankendolch'

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA 'Frankendolch'
    P
    Many

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Sorry to disappoint you but it is unlikely that this is a ground Rohm due to this maker mark. I also believe you will find that there is no gilt in the etch, more likely, rust.
    The color you see on the fittings is more than likely nicotine from hanging on some vet's wall for many years.
    The eagle, I believe is a lapel pin for members of the armed forces.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for the reply!

Hm, for some reason I had it in my head that the F. Dick maker mark was across the grain for standard, and with the grain (as pictured) for the Rohm daggers. Oh well. As for the crossguards and inscription; I'm not so sure that they're the result of staining; the colour is very even and rich / deep. And there is definitely traces of gold in the inscription; I'm not sure if the photo shows it so well but it's not rust - a nice rich shiny gold.

Anyway, just thought I would show it here as it's a little out of the ordinary.

Quote by Asgeirr View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Hm, for some reason I had it in my head that the F. Dick maker mark was across the grain for standard, and with the grain (as pictured) for the Rohm daggers.

Anyway, just thought I would show it here as it's a little out of the ordinary.
    Actually, the "grain" on these daggers always goes across the blade, not along it.
    Ralph.

P.S. Try some acetone on the etch, I think you will find that, if anything, it is likely gold paint.
    Typically, any daggers that had gold gilt on the motto, had a raised motto.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

F. Dick did in fact produce Rohm daggers with the logo closer to the crossguard ...but not the example that you have posted. The blade is an F. Dick Standard.

F. Dick SA Dagger Partial Ground Rohm for Review

F. Dick also produced Rohms with the trade mark across the blade.

Below are a couple of photos showing a ground Rohm ..that the grind has taken some of the logo.
    There were 6 logo variants all designated by the dots on the off ends of the logo

SA Maker F.Dick and the "dots"

SA 'Frankendolch' SA 'Frankendolch'

I would say the dagger is not a parted dagger ..but totally hacked together. The blade is the only detail that holds a little value.
    Thanks for sharing ...this dagger will be added to the Forums data base ,, everything and all detail matters .

Regards Larry
    Last edited by Larry C; 08-24-2017 at 09:42 AM.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by rbminis View Post
    P.S. Try some acetone on the etch, I think you will find that, if anything, it is likely gold paint.
    Typically, any daggers that had gold gilt on the motto, had a raised motto.
    Ralph.
    Yes, it looks like a gold paint alright. I imagine it looked quite beautiful when it was new.