Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Rohm Early Fake?

Article about: This is dagger is from my father's collection I inherited. It is one I have questioned due to it not being ground. This has been in my family's collection since the early 80's. Thanks for an

?

Default SA Rohm Early Fake?

This is dagger is from my father's collection I inherited. It is one I have questioned due to it not being ground. This has been in my family's collection since the early 80's. Thanks for any info.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Rohm Early Fake?   SA Rohm Early Fake?  

SA Rohm Early Fake?   SA Rohm Early Fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SA Rohm Early Fake?
    P
    Many

?

Additional photos.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Rohm Early Fake?   SA Rohm Early Fake?  

Any possibility of getting a better photo of the dedication as the flash has washed out detail . Indirect lighting works best or an over cast day.

The dedication appears to have fallen well below the center ridge line of the blade ..which all dedications were placed centered on the blade. Its why Im asking for a better photo to view the etch and the actual position of the dedication.
    Fakers these days like to take good SA blades and add a Rohm inscription to bump up the value..its why Im asking for better photos.

This dagger has been opened at some point in time.
    Is the bottom of the lower guard bench marked with a single digit number..Im thinking your example may not.

Please provide photos of the top of the upper guard looking down and the tang nut.
    a photo of the scabbard opening

The flash gives the impression of later period plated scabbard fittings. I feel this dagger has some issues.
    More photos please.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

One point of interest is this dagger was in my father's collection starting around 1984 or so. I have some real reservations about the legitimacy of it, but it's certainly not a laser etch or a new fake. Just find it interesting is all.

I'm mainly curious if it's a real dagger with a fake etching or a repro all the way round. Maybe just parted?

I'll post some better quality pics when I get a chance.

One more thing - I have a collection of 10 daggers I inherited (4 original, 3 questionable, 3 fakes). I'm curious as to what the community here believes the morally correct thing to do with proved fakes?

IMO Reproduction items can be sold as long as they are clearly sold as a reproduction item. There are quite a few people that do not mind owning reproduction items for various reason. Many folks that participate in reenactments would rather carry a reproduction item in case it gets damaged.
    John

Armed with the knowledge that you now have about the fakes in your collection, marking a fake in a way so that it could never be sold to an unsuspecting person as original would also be the proper thing to do if you chose to ever sell your items. Marking by means of permanent not temporary such as an engraver to etch onto a fake. I have some fakes in my collection that I have marked as repro. I intend on keeping them as an example of the quality of reproductions but also to educate and inform others and when I am no longer around and my family takes ownership of my collection they too will know what is authentic and reproduction. I also have known some to simply destroy the item altogether, not sure if I would be that harsh with the item. It still has some value and as John has mentioned, many would prefer to collect reproductions as a cost substitute...

Just my humble opinion though..

Smitty